About the Technical Analysis 101 course category

Get started with technical analysis and learn how to ‘read the story’ of price action on your favourite crypto markets. This course is designed for beginners with no technical analysis experience, or for those that have already started to learn some on their own, but what to improve their understanding of how technical analysis can improve their ability as a trader.

Learn about trends; how and why a market moves; support & resistance; how to use trading view and trade with it; technical indicators; trading strategies; how to trade independently and more. Get started now!

• In this forum category, you can discuss the Technical Analysis 101 course content, assignments and ask questions directly to the instructor and teaching assistants.
6 Likes
  1. What is a trading exchange?
    A platform where traders can execute purchasing & selling of crypto’s, stocks, commodoties, currencies etc.
  2. What do brokers do?
    Facilitate trading in stocks, forex, cryptos etc.
  3. What is margin trading?
    Being able to leverage trade stocks, cryptos, currencies by utilising the exchanges money to increase rewards. (also increases risk)
  4. What is the difference between Bid and Offer (or Bid and Ask)
    Bid is to Buy, ask is to sell…
  5. What is the leverage?
    Margin trading, to multiply positions, borrowing essentially the exchanges moneyt.
    It is a marketplace where securities, commodities, derivatives and other financial instruments are bought and sold. Exemples: NYSE, Nasdaq, LSE, DAX, B3, and the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE).

2. What do brokers do?
    They act as an intermediary between an investor and a securities exchange. Because securities exchanges only accept orders from individuals or firms who are members of that exchange, individual traders and investors need the services of exchange members.

Margin is the money borrowed from a brokerage firm to purchase an investment. It is the difference between the total value of securities held in an investor’s account and the loan amount from the broker.

The bid price represents the maximum price that a buyer is willing to pay for a share of stock or other security. The ask price represents the minimum price that a seller is willing to take for that same security.

5. What is the leverage?
    Leverage is an investment strategy of using borrowed money, specifically, the use of various financial instruments or borrowed capital to increase the potential return of an investment.

I just wanted to check if the quizzes in this module are working…
Being a total dumb arse might be questionable, I did also leave a comment…Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.16.48 am Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.20.40 am ![Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.26.28 am|690x317]

No correct answers displayed, I think most could be right but i did second guess myself at first

1 Like

We will get this looked at for you, thanks for flagging it.

As for your answers, hopefully I can provide some feedback to your screenshot:

1. If the strategy is 4:1 you only need 20% to ensure you are breaking even (1 winner would be the same as 4 losers. So that’s five trades in total, 1 in 5 needs to be a winner so that’s 20%)

2. BTCUSD example is 4:1 - that’s correct

3. An MA is a lagging indicator - correct

Thanks Capig, hope you gained something from the course.

Just to provide some feedback about Bid and Ask: We buy at Ask and we sell at Bid on an exchange.
The Ask price is the lowest price the seller is willing to take, and we’re buying from that seller.
The Bid price is the highest price the buyer is willing to pay, and we’re selling to that buyer.

This will help when you come to programming your bots and making sure you are choosing the right price to open/close trades

Hello @Capig, we have notice those errors on the quizzes, we will solve it this next days, thanks for notifying it! Keep learning!

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

1 Like

I posted those to bring attention, also I want to point out that I second guessed and posted incorrect answers to see if the correct ones would be displayed… Then went to Investopedia to check all my answers… (I wasn’t as dumb as you thought)…
As I was the only student doing this course at the time please remove the posts or do I have to do it?

Hi,
Thank you so much for this course, it was really enlightening.
I would like to point out two things that came to my attention during the course:
1 - The “Trading strategy #1 part 2” video seems to be a repetition of the previous one;
2 - The “Win rate vs reward risk” seems to end before completion.
Could you please have a look?

Thank you, and looking forward for Technical Analysis 201! Any idea as to when it will be released?

1 Like

No problems at all, no need to remove the answers either, just wanted to mention it in case someone was unsure of the difference. And you’re certainly not dumb my friend; you’re a member of ivanontech and no-one here is dumb.

1 Like

Hi Bruno, great to hear your feedback. We will take a look into that.

201 is not currently in planning yet, but I will start compiling a list of content suggestions to present to Ivan and the team for 2021.

1 Like

Hi!
I have a question about candle sticks, Does Pin bar need to be green to represent a Pin bar and same question on the Doji does it need to be green or can it be red as well?

Hi Artur, in my humble opinion it does not make that much difference, because it’s normally only a few ticks either side which determines whether it’s green or red. And a few ticks can easily be swallowed up with spreads, commissions and fees anyway.

But I challenge you to heed the saying “don’t trust, verify” and learn how to program a strategy and backtest it to know for sure. That could be an interesting project and Philip [and Ivan] produced a good course on programming with Pinescript on trading view, that’ll be a good place to start.

1 Like

sorry i push the bottom by mistake

1 what is a trading exchange ?
An exchange may be a physical location where traders meet to conduct business or an electronic platform. they sell and buy stocks crypto assets etc.
2 What a broker do ?
Its role primarily consists of providing a point of contact for institutional clients seeking to buy or sell financial or non financial products. Regulatory restraints require the broker to act as a pure intermediary, taking no positions or dealing risks in the financial markets.
3.What is margin trading?
margin trading refers to the process whereby individual investors buy more stocks than they can
afford to. Margin trading involves buying and selling of securities in one single session.
4.What is the difference between Bid and Offer
Bid is for buy and Offer is to sell
5. What is the leverage?
Leverage is an investment strategy of using borrowed money—specifically, the use of various financial instruments or borrowed capital—to increase the potential return of an investment.

It is a place (market) where you can buy and sell assets

2. What do brokers do?
    They buy and sell for a profit

It is trading with a leverage (capital) that is provided by the exchange

to bid is to offer a price for buying, offer for selling

1. What is the leverage?

It is actually borrowing the exchange’s money in order to close a trade. So a leverage of 5x means that your are in reality borrowing 5 times the money you are putting yourself. I can greatly increase your gains, but also your losses.

Hi guys!

I’m loving this course! I had a question about the applicability of the course for students that are based in the US. It seems that there are a lot of restrictions here that prevent us from trading bitcoin. Forgive me if I am missing something here but are there exchanges like Phemex that allow holding positions or entering into contracts here? Would ledgerX be the closest exchange here?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Kaos2020, welcome to the forum. Technical analysis can also by used for investing, rather than trading. So if you are experiencing barriers trading Bitcoin using a margin account, or trading derivatives, then you should still be able to apply these techniques for owning the asset outright (or a fractional amount). If you are unable to purchase the coins, could you let us know the state you are in?

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. I have since figured out the issues. I was confusing the confusing the ability to spot trade vs margin trading and derivatives so I kept running up against regulation barriers to do that in the US. I didn’t know that I could use other exchanges like Binance.US/Coinbase etc to trade in a way that I could apply TA other than investing which I also do. But I am in good shape now!

1 Like

Hi, I´ve just started the Technical Analysis 101 course, and I have a question. I hope this is the way I should ask. In the third lesson of the introduction, @Chris_Bailey said that, in order to better understand the TA, you should know about “Mass Statistics”. I googled it, but I didn´t find anything. Can anybody please tell me where can I find information about that? thanks

1 Like