Assignment - Introduction to Fintech

1. Pay : Braintree, a division of PayPal, provides payment services to businesses of all sizes. Accepting payment types ranging from credit cards to Venmo

2. Investments : Acorns, Acorns is a savings and investment mobile application. Linked to a user’s financial accounts, it invests change from purchases in a diversified portfolio.

3. Borrowing : PitchBook is a financial software and data company that provides information about public and private equity markets.

4. Saving . Chime . Chime is a pioneering mobile bank that offers no-fee and automatic savings accounts as well as early payday via direct deposit

5. Lending . Blend. Blend’s digital lending platform simplifies the loan process and gives consumers a more transparent look into their finances.
    Avant is a loan service for middle-income consumers that offers loans ranging from $2,000-$35,000.

6. Insurance . Insurify

1 Like

FinTechs in APAC (Asia Pacific)

1. Pay

Ant Group, or Alipay, as a payment tool with one-stop digital daily life services

2. Invest

Lufax, as 24/7 mobile wealth management services

3. Borrow

Sea, or SeaMoney as consumer internet company with a full digital bank license

4. Save

Grab, as a robust suite of financial products and services with digital banking license

5. Lend

Maneo, as P2P lending for consumer and SMEs loans

6. Insure

Singlife, as digitally-seamless and mobile-first insurance solutions

#Global FinTech Unicorns 2020

2 Likes

Pay - Interac. Facilitates payments between Canadian banks for easy peer-to-peer transfers which can be sent via email or text message.

Investments - Edward Jones. Facilitates a number of investment-related products for Canadian citizens.

Borrowing - SoFi. Home, personal, and student loan services.

Saving - RBC. One of the largest Canadian banks.

Lending - goPeer. Connects credit-worthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking to invest.

Insurance - insurance-canada.ca . Offers Home, Auto, Travel, Health, Business, Sports, and Life insurance.

1 Like

My examples are all Singapore based, I used most of them except for insurance. I guess SG’s pretty advanced in Fintech :wink:

1. Pay: In Singapore there is a company called NETS. Network for electronic Transfers (Singapore). They were the first company to introduce digital payments in SG and formed the bridge between banks, customers and merchants.

2. Invest: Stashaway. Think of them as a fund manager but instead of individual customer portfolios, they create diff portfolios based on customer risk appetite. Customer chooses a risk level, deposits capital. Done. The fund then invests in Equity, Metals and so on based on their own investment strategies per risk portfolio. No min. Investment amount and fees are in the decimals per portfolio value, NOT per transaction.

3 & 4. Borrow/Lend. Funding society. Crowdfunding loans. To a business, they provide quick loans with low fees. To customers, they provide access to interest yielding investments at low capital volumes.

1. Saving. Stashaway also has a savings solution. They have a product that generates higher interest than banks and they basically do it but creating a portfolio that’s just Singapore bonds. It’s only possible because Singapore’s economy is extremely stable.

2. Insurance. FWD is a purely digital insurance company. It has one of the lowest premiums because of the way they structure their services to customers. No real magic here, lower opex higher savings.

1 Like

1. Pay
Being from Germany, Wirecard comes to mind. Wirecard was one of the companies behind many FinTech startups like Revolut or Crypto.com. I think everyone knows what happened to the company.
2. Invest
Moonfare is a German startup that specializes in fundraising.
3. Borrow
Bitbond is another company that issues loans to small businesses around the world. Bitbond raised its initial funds through one of the few successful STOs (on Stellar).
4. Save
I found Raisin, which claims to be a marketplace helping users to move funds between network partners to earn the best interest on their deposits.
5. Lend
I found Kapilendo for lending, however, I am not sure how lending differs from borrowing in terms of a company as an intermediary. In order to borrow, there has to be lender. I am confused. Feel free to help me out here.
6. Insure
Element Insurance is a provider of white label insurance solutions.

2 Likes

Paying: Stripe
Investing: WealthSimple
Borrowing: Zopa
Saving: BlockFi
Lending:Peerform
Insuring: Lemonade

1 Like

I am living in Berlin, so these are the relevant answers:

Pay: Klarna.

Save: rubarb.de

Investment: Trade Republic / Bux Zero

Borrow: Vaidoo / Auxmoney

Lend: Bondora / Bitbond / Banxware GmbH

Insurance: Friendsurance

1 Like

United States:

Payments: Stripe
Savings Acorns
Investments: Stash
Borrowing: Credit Karma
Lending: Kabbage
Insurance: Lemonade

1 Like

Fintechs in the US:

Paying - PayPal
Lending - SALT Lending > borrowers leverage their own crypto currency for loans
Investing - Robinhood
Insurance - Lemonade > homeowners and renters insurance powered by artificial intelligence and behavioral economics.
Saving - Acorns
Borrowing - SoFi > Home loans, personal loans, student loansPaying - PayPal

1 Like

pay- Paypal is good for fiat payments between individuals or to pay bills.

invest- Kraken and Metamask are my main investment vehicles and I really like the staking on Kraken.

borrow- besides all the banks, Id prefer Celcius to stake and borrow from, they have a growing community and the yield percentages are nice for the most part.

save- cold storage is great for saving, but if you want a return, staking on Kraken or Celcius may be the answer.

lend- I could lend through Pay pal technically. Celcius is also where I can lend my cryto to a pool of like minded individuals and get a yield.

insure- Crypto.com has aquired 360m insurance cover for Offline bitcoin vaults.
Of course theres the FDIC for banks.

1 Like

Venmo- payments ( p2p)
Kickstarter- Lending ( funding)
Wealthfront- investing
Seraphin- Insurance
Aion - Savings
Tracxn- borrowing

1 Like

Pay: Venmo , super easy GUI , free to transfer from ap into traditional bank or now you can spend directly from venmo card

Invest: Robinhood, crypto.com, personal capital;
personal capital has a great GUI to link all accounts and get an understanding of net worth. have
advisors to help great a portfolio based on risk tolerance.

Borrow: Sofi or Aave; aave is a decetralized loan platform where you can loan or borrow money for mortgages

Save: chime; no overdraft fees or monthly fees to save your money; all online
Lend: Aave; does both, along with celcius. Great place to stake or borrow
Insure: Hippo ; home insurance

1 Like

CANADA

Schedule 1 Banks (Domestics) Canada’s Big 5 and 6 ANKS – Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD CanadaTrust), Bank of Nova Scotia, (Scotiabank), Bank of Montreal (BMO), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce CIBC), is often referred to the 6th National Bank of Canada

Other banks include Tangerine Bank, ManuLife Bank, First Nations Bank, Laurnetian Bank,

Desjardins - Most caisses populaires in Quebec (and some outside the province) are part of a network which operates as the Desjardins Group. Desjardins Group owns and operates a range of subsidiaries, including a securities brokerage, a venture capital firm, and a bank based in Florida.

Government-owned financial institutions

The Bank of Canada Building in Ottawa is the headquarters of the country’s central bank.

• Bank of Canada (Central Bank)
  • Business Development Bank of Canada
  • Farm Credit Canada – Government-owned Farm Credit not a deposit-taking bankyet lends to the agriculture and agri-food industries.
  • ATB Financial (Government of Alberta Crown Corporation)

Also:

The Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation is a Canadian federal Crown Corporation created by Parliament in 1967 to provide deposit insurance to depositors in Canadian commercial banks and savings institutions. CDIC insures Canadians’ deposits held at Canadian banks up to C$100,000 in case of a bank failure. CDIC automatically insures many types of savings against the failure of a financial institution. However, the bank must be a CDIC member and not all savings are insured. CDIC is also Canada’s resolution authority for banks, federally regulated credit unions, trust and loan companies as well as associations governed by the Cooperative Credit Associations Act that take deposits.

Credit agencies include:

• PayNet Inc.
  • Equifax Canada
  • TransUnion Canada
  • Echo Group Other Payments options: Apple Pay, PayPal and Excbnages like Crypto.com and
  1. Payment

a…Flexiti provides a point-of-sale consumer financing solution for retailers that allows customers to apply for a private label credit card and make purchases with a variety of payment plans.

b… Interac is a payments and digital information exchange that operates products and solutions, such as debit cards, mobile wallets, INTERAC e-Transfer, ABMS, in-app and online purchases.

c… Lightspeed provides a point-of-sale system and hardware that delivers a cloud-based retail and e-commerce platform for merchants and restaurants to manage inventory, sales, analytics and payments.

d… Nuvei provides technology-driven payment solutions to merchants, technology and distribution partners across North America.

e… Payment Rails is a SaaS payouts platform for on-demand economy businesses to pay their freelancer workers globally.

f… Plooto is an integrated payment automation platform built for SMBs. Plooto’s solution streamlines the AP and AR process by eliminating manual data entry, replacing checks and wires and automating the reconciliation process with accounting platforms.

g… Salt Edge offers open banking services such as financial data aggregation API, data enrichment, payment initiation API, and PSD2 compliance.

h… Smooth Commerce is a mobile commerce platform that provides businesses with payment and reward solutions.

i… Snap Financial provides payment solutions, home service financing for homeowners and insurance financing for businesses and individuals.

j… TouchBistro provides an iPad point-of-sale and payments solution that assists restaurants with order taking and payment processing, menu and staff management, inventory control, accounting, reporting and customer loyalty.

k… Wave provides a cloud-based suite of software products for entrepreneurs and small businesses that includes tools for accounting, invoicing, payroll, payments and receipt management, bookkeeping and accounting coaching.

Payment News in Canada effecting 2021, as of December 15, 2020 :slight_smile:

Payments Canada published the Modernization Delivery Roadmap December 2020 Update, an update on Canada’s payments Modernization progress.

In the coming two years, Canada will see the launch of two new payments systems: Lynx (https://modernization.payments.ca/high-value-payments-system/) in 2021 and the Real-Time Rail (RTR - https://modernization.payments.ca/the-plan/real-time-rail/) in 2022.

Lynx will modernize Canada’s high-value clearing and settlement system (Large Value Transfer System - https://www.payments.ca/about-us/our-systems-and-rules/large-value-transfer-system) with an enhanced risk model that complies with Canadian and international risk standards. In its follow-up release, Lynx will support (SWIFT) ISO 20022 messaging in support of Canadian financial institutions meeting ISO 20022 global requirements.

In 2020, Canada saw an upsurge in the use of digital payments and a rise in Canadians’ adoption of new ways to pay. The RTR will support this growth with faster, secure, data-rich payments and act as a platform for the introduction of new payment products and experiences for Canadians and Canadian businesses.

The Modernization program is refined and updated as milestones are reached, informed by ongoing consultation with Canadian financial institution members, stakeholders and regulators.

Starting in 2021, Payments Canada will move to publish biannual updates on Modernization progress.

1. Investments

a… Canalyst delivers structured fundamental data to institutional investors across North America. With a database of cloud-based up-to-date equity models across caps and sectors.

b… Hockeystick is a software platform that provides data on the tech and innovation ecosystem including companies, accelerators, angel investors, venture capital, private equity and government programs.

c… Inovestor provides a platform that offers investment tools, portfolio valuation and a suite of other products for financial advisors, institutions and the media.

d… Justwealth is an online wealth management company that provides customized investment portfolios and financial planning for individual, corporate and high-net-worth investors.

e… Mylo is the saving and investing app that allows Canadians to achieve financial goals by rounding up purchases and investing spare change. Mylo uses AI to provide personalized recommendations to help customers make informed financial choices.

f… Lending Loop is a peer-to-peer lending marketplace. Lending Loop enables small businesses to access financing by connecting them with Canadians who want to invest.

g… Nest Wealth is a Canadian digital wealth platform that offers direct-toinvestor and professional business-to-business solutions to the wealth management community.

h… WealthBar provides an online portfolio management platform that delivers investment and financial advice to customers.

i… Wealthsimple provides investment, saving and stock trading products through a combination of technology and human advice.

Borrowing
a… Borrowell provides free credit score monitoring, AI-powered credit coaching tools, and personalized financial product recommendations. Borrowell has over 50 financial products and services available on its platform, including personal loans, mortgages, and credit cards.

b… Lendesk is a B2B mortgage technology company that helps mortgage originators gather application information from borrowers, find an appropriate lender, manage application submissions and follow-up communication with selected mortgage lenders.

c…Planswell offers free online financial planning that gives recommendations to help clients optimise their borrowing, investing and insurance needs.

1. Savings
    a…Mylo is the saving and investing app that allows Canadians to achieve financial goals by rounding up purchases and investing spare change. Mylo uses AI to provide personalized recommendations to help customers make informed financial choices.

b… Wealthsimple provides investment, saving and stock trading products through a combination of technology and human advice.

1. Lending

a… Easyfinancial is the non-prime consumer lending division of goeasy Ltd., offering lending products through an omnichannel model that leverages digital technology to help customers.

b… Lendesk is a B2B mortgage technology company that helps mortgage originators gather application information from borrowers, find an appropriate lender, manage application submissions and follow-up communication with selected mortgage lenders.

c… Lending Loop is a peer-to-peer lending marketplace. Lending Loop enables small businesses to access financing by connecting them with Canadians who want to invest.

Insurance
a… Finaeo’s digital marketplace streamlines the prospect-to-policy workflow by replacing paperwork with automated technology and facilitating the connection between insurance carriers, advisors and their

b…Ratehub.ca provides comparisons between mortgage rates, credit cards, deposit rates and insurance offered by financial institutions to give Canadians personalized financial recommendations…

c…Snap Financial provides payment solutions, home service financing for homeowners and insurance financing for businesses and individuals.

3 Likes

Amazing! Thank you for that :pray:

1. Pay - Revolut
  2. Invest - LYNX trading
  3. borrow - zltymelon.sk
  4. save - application mint
  5. lend - finzo.sk
  6. insure - superpoistenie.sk
1 Like
  • Use google to find fintechs that are active in your region. Try to find at least one for each of the 6 pillars of finance and write a couple of sentences on what each and one of the fintechs are doing and share your answer in the forum if you like.

Im currently using:

1. Celsius (which I love, though I have asked a loan providing some ETH and BTC as collateral, and I dont feel so well not having my coins… but suposedly they have a custodian that is super safe :woozy_face:)
  2. Crypto.com (because they promised they had global debit card, which they dont. Im based in Chile, and they still dont have the card here. I dont know for other south american countries)
  3. exodus wallet I also have something there, because it was the first wallet I downloaded using my desktop. Supposedly they are super safe, though one never knows.
  4. Ledger live … I bough a ledger nano after losing some of my crypto through a Metamask scam page (that was horrible)
  5. Iam also registered in cryptomkt and orionx services, which are both cryptocurrencies marketplaces for south america, they provide pairs for BTC/ETH/and some others with local currencies such as CLP/Brazilian Real/Argenitna pesos and so on.
  6. I bought my first piece of bitcoin in Coinmama.com since it was the first service that I knew and trusted, and I payed with credit card which broguht me 5% fee :sob: :sob: plus the USd conversion I had to pay the bank with.
  7. I recently opened an account with dukascopy bank, because they provide a swiss bank account with no residence (it is one of the few services that offers that) and because I have faith that the world is going to become travel friendly in the future once again, so that I can convert some crypt to eur without paying any fees (because swift transfers to chile Suck!!!). They also provide a debit card which only costs 1EUR per month as maintenance fee.
  8. I recently became part of the Nexus mutual platform, bought some 300EUR worth of NXM token, but I still dont play with that … Im just speculating with the price for now, though later I found out that I could have purchased wrapped NXM

… thats about it for now!!!

Im loving this course, how it is structured, the teacher, the methodology. Very nice new content

1 Like

Pay - LatCard has a license for issue and service of prepaid MasterCard cards. They’re website mentions three major services, two of which are currently unavailable (online payments for e-commerce and ebank payment accounts).

Lend - Mogo provides secure car loans in Eastern European countries.

Flipful - Employee engagement through flexible salary access.

USA

Pay- Circle, Remity, Stripe, Bolt, Affirm, Paypal, Dailypay, Braintree, Plaid

Invest- Robinhood, Credit Karma, Angel Investors, Folio Investors

Borrow-SoFi

Lending -Lending Tree

Insure- Lemonade

Save- Acorns

1 Like

@thecil Hey man, could you answer a question for me. During this part of opportunities in fintech, the teacher speaks about corporations, global corporations and Institutions. Could you provide an example of institutions???

Thank you for your answer! :smile:

To finish your assigment please list at least one example for each remainning pillar of finance:
PAY
INVEST
BORROW
SAVE
LEND
INSURE