Bitcoin Core Introduction Discussion

Hi,

If anyone could assist me, that will be very helpful…

If it is just for test purpose, could I just choose “Discard blocks after verification, except most recent 2GB” not to waste the HD space?

Thanks in advance
Yoslick13

This is to ‘prune’ the bitcoin blockchain. (in mainnet and testnet) Doesn’t matter if you will use regtest.

Basically, if you have pruning enabled, once your node has downloaded the block data and validated the blocks/transactions in it, it throws away the old data that it no longer needs (since it’s already been validated).

This saves your disk space from having to hold the entire blockchain, which takes up a lot of space. The downside is that other nodes won’t be able to download this data from your node (which, from your perspective, isn’t really much of a downside) and if something goes wrong, you could hypothetically wind up in a position where you have to re-download that old data to validate it again.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Ziomanzo

All makes sense
Thanks very much for the advice
Pruning is good option for me.

Regards
Yosuke

1 Like

Especially if you want to have a full node (on mainnet) on a laptop, it makes sense to prune. once you are synced, you just need to start your bitcoin software (bitcoind or bitcoinqt) a couple of minutes a day to keep up.

1 Like

Thanks, wasn’t for sure how I was gonna follow along with my Surface Pro 3 without enough disk space, or wither I was gonna have to set up a stand alone lap top or a desk top.

I do not have 200gb space on my MacBook Pro, nor do I have money(since I spent it on Premium Course) to simply go out and upgrade my HD or my computer. :disappointed:

A good alternative is to install a bitcoin FULL node cheaply on a raspberry pi with an external SSD or HDD (through USB). it’s like a mini computer wich you don’t need a screen, keyboard or anything. Just a network connection to acces. For an average of 150euro you can have a Raspberry pi 4 4gb with an external hard drive of 1 Terra bytes!! Able to run a non-pruned node with lighting network and many more services

1 Like

Yeah I thought about that option, I have to order one but that is another project because I do not know Linux ( I want to learn, trying to make the time). Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

Oof, finally got the whole D/L - only took over a month :wink:
For anyone else - FYI - at the time of posting, the TX D/L is +/- 314 Gig.

1 Like

Wow. It took you 1 month?
I have fiberopt. internet connection, so It only took 2 days with me.

Ivo

Life on mobile broadband was no fun. No fun at all! :confused: . . but happily my fibre got installed last week, but curiously, this download simply would not speed up no mater what I did, despite my now excellent speeds. Never mind - it’s all good now :wink:

Perfect - thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Now I know why you say this class will take awhile. Just downloading the blockchain is taking for ever! I didn’t have enough space on my drive, but I had a new external drive, so I plugged it in and installed bitcoin on there and it’s downloading nicely. Although after learning about regtest mode, I’m thinking you could probably get by using that for training. Otherwise, if I just use the testnet, will I need to download the entire testnet blockchain as well? Also, why did it download so much at first and then it seems to be slowing down? Is that normal?
Anyway, can’t wait to get it up and running so I can continue with the class. Maybe I could take another one while I wait… :wink:

1 Like

If you install bitcoin core, and want to use mainnet or testnet, it needs to download all blocks and verify every transaction and everything since the genisis block, unless you set prune enable, to only download and sync latest part. So it’s perfectly normal. To use regtest only, you don’t need to sync anything and you can abort the process

1 Like

I had initially started this module a few weeks ago but had to work on clearing a lap top then it took about four days to download the whole chain. I was able to see bitcoind on windows power shell but it wont continue running its telling me “Block files previously been pruned and that I need I need to rebuild the database using -reindex to go back to unpruned mode.”
Someone please tell me there is a quick fix here and I dont have to re download the whole thing again?

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am currently running a bitcoin node through PowerShell, my bitcoin core application and all files are in my secondary disk (D:) where I have enough space to download the blockchain, however for some reason the downloading stops at some point and tells me I don’t have enough space because it is downloading somewhere on my main disk (C:) where I don’t have enough space.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank you.

1 Like

Would be nice if we had a discussion on here based on platform.

I am on a mac and I looked at @bitcoin’s answers, which technically work but run a completely different download than the bitcoin core UI.
There seems to be many different ways of getting things going and I am concerned about being able to follow future lessons if I can’t even get the node running right!

1 Like

Hi.
Struggelig is part of programming, just don’t give up and use all the resources online. Take your time, there is no rush. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ivo

Ok. I guess I had just expected that this place would be a resource! But I guess not.

2 Likes

with resources I mean documentation, GitHub, Stackoverflow, internet. thats the tools we should use everyday as a developer.

:hugs: