Bitcoin Timelock - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion about this section. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

Hi Filip,

Could you provide a link where the special data structure (bitstructure) for relative time lock is specified?

Thx!!

A link to what, a transaction?

Hi I think you can see the specification for this here:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0068.mediawiki#specification

That was clear explanation about nTimeLock vs Check Lock Time Verify. CLTV is a very clever way to solve the shortcomings of nTimeLock too

1 Like

Hi Filip!

Thanks for the courses, amazing work and very well structured!
I have a question:
Is it possible to combine CLTV (OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY) with a Segwit transaction?
The course show the CLTV example with a PubKeyHash transaction so I was just curious to know if it possible to do it with a Segwit type transaction.

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’m happy to hear you like it. Yes, that is absolutely possible. I think most people would do them within PayToWitnessScriptHash transactions. Basically a normal p2sh transaction but segwit enabled.

In that script you can embed any bitcoin logic you want, including CLTV.

1 Like

Hi filip or other colleagues

One novice question,
You explained in 4 TimeLock Tx Part3 nSequence that “when nSequence started being used as relative time lock stamp for time lock, there was no need of forks(hard nor soft)” more or less.
Then I dont understand how nodes started recognizing nSequense as the new meaning.
It is something related to Script so that fork is not needed?

Hope my question is clear enough…
Yosuke

In nLocktime it is possible to double spend within the 1 year timeframe.

What about after the 1 year has passed In Check Lock Time Verify?

Can someone wait until the locking period is done and then double spend the tx before the holder claims it?