Career Advice - Any suggestions would be amazing!

Hello!

Background
I started doing the Ivan on tech courses in November 2020 with no experience in blockchain or coding and i’m still pretty bad at coding but i can still manage to do the projects with help in the forums and understand the code. However my knowledge of everything as whole has increased exponentially so that to a person with no knowledge i sound very knowledgable.

Job:
As a result I have recently secured a job in the crypto sector as a middle man between the business and developers creating our blockchain client, so i assume a Project manager of sorts which is the avenue i’d prefer to actual development as my skills and communication are better suited to that. Being new to it, it’s pretty stressful as i haven’t really got anyone to ask questions to and i find it hard to figure out what i should do with my time outside of the two weekly meetings about the current state of the project.

So what i’m asking is, is there any advice that someone could give me to help me become more secure in what i’m doing?

And what would you do with your time outside the project to become even better?

It doesn’t help that i don’t have a job description so i haven’t got anything to refer to. It’s a start up.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi I’m sorry but I don’t have any advice for you.

I’d like to move into the crypto space careerwise though. Can you please share how you got the job? resources and any job website in particular? Thank you!

Hey there, that’s a very honest and I think a very good question as most academy members are all pretty new to the crypto space. I am too and just like you took a deep dive around the same time end of 2020.

Looking at the situation as you describe I’d say it matters what the main purpose of the start-up is, what’s its space? Is it defi, gaming, nft’s or more community based a combo or something else. These area’s attract different types of people with different goals. What scale is the team? In the end it’s all about realizing goals on different levels while maintaining focus on the start-ups end goal.

That being said you shouldn’t forget yourself in this process either. As I’m an entrepreneur and have managed teams, I know it’s easy to get distracted by deadlines, directors or ego’s with more experience than you. Even if you don’t know what you’re doing sometimes, doesn’t matter.

Set your own milestones in the project. When would you be happy with what you’re doing? Then communicate that. Where you think it should go and attach milestones to it.

Is there a road map? Can you split the map into sections? Then talk to all the different people personally if possible, make it a social thing where people feel they can talk to you. Visualize yourself from their perspective then see what you can do to make their job easier.

People can do their job better if they feel there’s trust and someone who ties their personal goals into the company’s end goals. You are the oil in the startup and sometimes a hammer if deadlines are not met.

Read up on people management and project management. These areas are the same wherever people work together only content and tools are different. Remember to have fun, it’s amazing you’re ‘in this space’!

DM me if needed. Cheers!

2 Likes

Hey!

I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, I the followed the last steps of every course which i feel a lot fo people can benefit from. E.g posting your certificates on socials, in particular Linkedin. I also set up a Github account and put any work i did on the courses on there in a repository. And i added all of this to my CV as well. patience is key and applying to every job within the industry is as well. A lot of the roles ask for way more experience and skills putting off potential applications. Still apply, you have nothing to lose and all to gain through doing so. thats how i landed my first job.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi, well it is the job full time or part time? If it’s full time and the company didn’t provide you with any direction, perhaps look at the code of the product and start to understand ‘what’ you are managing and see if you can enhance you developer skills. If you are in project management, look at SCRUM or AGILE method courses that would help you work with the developers. SCRUM and AGILE go nicely with a PM and developer background. SCRUM and AGILE are also highly in demand and don’t require a lot of programming skill. Both have certificates, but you can obtain the 1st level of SCRUM without paying for the 2 day course. Just thoughts…Good Luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Stacy!

Yeah its full time and the role involves meditation between the developers and investors. And help everyone understand each other basically. I like the idea of doing the course you mentioned, i’ll do the free one and then when I pass probation i’ll ask to get put in for a 2 day course. Any recommendations? i live in the UK by the way.

1 Like

Starting with the free one and then aiming for a 2-day course after probation is a solid plan! As for recommendations, considering your location in the UK, have you ever thought about exploring courses related to project management or communication skills? They might add an extra layer to your mediation superpowers!

On a different note, did you know that with your mediation and communication skills, you can work in Scheduled Air Transportation industry? It’s a dynamic field where your knack for understanding different perspectives could shine!