Career and Job Search Strategy

Hey guys, I’m very new here but I did a rudimentary search for the topic above and all I could find was topics on where to find jobs which is not bad but I think we need something a bit more.

My pitch is HOW do we go about landing a job?

For example, I want a remote job as an Ethereum developer. Maybe this is not what you’re looking for but in my opinion, this is the easiest place to start but I might be biased because most of my experience is in Ethereum.

I have asked mentors at hackathons and others involved in the space on what is exactly needed to get the jobs that are currently available and will become available.

I’m happy to share the research I’ve gathered but just want to make sure the topic is accepted before everything gets shut down for appropriate reasons.

But as an example, one common theme I’ve noticed is that very intimate knowledge of the EVM is desired by a job candidate. If this makes sense to you, we would then go about discussing how to acquire this skill as systematically as possible.

Again, much more to share but wanted to get some feedback on the topic first, cheers!

12 Likes

I think this is a more than appropriate topic. Any time I meet someone who works directly for a blockchain (MakerDao, Ethereum, etc.) one of my first questions is always how they got full time employment.

From discussions that I’ve had, those who actually get hired were actively involved in the community first. Once they build a reputation of reliability and value-add insight, that’s when they are either extended an offer or apply to an open position and get selected.

I’m interested to hear more about your research/discussions!

8 Likes

Hey, thanks for the endorsement! I just finished the HackMoney ETHGlobal hackathon that ended just about a week ago. They had mentors there which was nice so they were able to give me some feedback on getting a job:

• More involvement and participation in the community
  • learning how the EVM works at a deep level and becoming comfortable with auditing smart contracts is one good way to break into a successful DApp
  • work on open source tools that become popular with Solidity developers
  • Having a strong background in optimizing smart contracts and in smart contract security will make you an attractive candidate
  • Simply writing smart contracts is reasonably easy (almost any developer can do it). The hard part is being able to secure your smart contracts and make them extremely gas efficient
  • check out dev tools like the Solidity compiler, the Builder tool suite, and open zeppelin
  • alongside ethereum specific development like solidity, it’s important to have a solid background in the languages that are most commonly used in the ethereum space, so this would be Go, JavaScript, and Rust
  • if you want to get deeper into smart contract development then you might want to look into solidity assembly for contract optimizations
  • for protocol-level development, Go or Rust knowledge is important since those are the most commonly used, as well as knowledge of distributed systems/software engineering in general
  • a lot of teams like to hire open source contributors, so I think looking into contributing to some open source ethereum projects is also a good move
  • try to understand assembly in solidity.
  • Being able to write good documentation, outline & design API’s, maintain consistency in code
  • Workflow and project management, Knowing how to set up issues, PR acceptance flows, issue templates, contributor docs, etc also gives you an edge
  • And read, read read read literally anything that increases your knowledge about the space, bonding curve designs, the community management issues with DAOs, the psychology of publishing open source, business development practices for getting investors, literally learn anything about all aspects relating to having & maintaining a business especially in crypto means you will share a context with different domain experts in the space, don’t limit your learnings to code patterns
  • Network as much as possible, learned more in a single conference than weeks of binging on the internet in cafes
  • Try writing articles, its difficult but its one hell of a way to get an edge as a developer
23 Likes

Thank you so much for your insight to this topic. :blush:
I will definitely use this in our Knowledge-Base and show to future students, if it’s ok with you?
Ivo

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fine. I hope that these points will be incorporated into the creation of new courses. The requirements for a job in this field are tougher than I had expected :grimacing:

But I hope this thread serves as a launching pad into discussing strategy on how to become better as developers and meet these demands from employers.

2 Likes

These are great man! I’m not a developer, but I see similarities to getting into a company from a finance/business development perspective. It’s important to have a global understanding to complement the specialization.

1 Like

Great work !
But…
I give up ! WTF… i need two additional lifes beside work to accomplish this !
The truth is so hard, that i don’t want to hear it !

2 Likes

Chin up! This just means the bar is a little higher than initially thought. These are things we can learn over time.

3 Likes

Trust me, bro. I felt the same way. But I still feel that as long as we keep at it, when the market picks up again, we should be in a very good position compared to the competition.

2 Likes

Unfortunatelly true :sweat:

Thanks for the insight!. I’m a newby to the developing, but im in a bootcamp outside of this called lambda to increase my developing skills. I’ve started to look into what job opportunities might be good for me when I’m ready, but I feel like i need years of studying and application to land a job. Maybe I’m just stressing idk, but how long would it take me to get a decent job in the industry if i commit to learning full time?

1 Like

To every student reading this,

I did not find a more appropriate topic to bring this up. I imagine it is difficult to land a job in the space as a developer with little to no experience but it’s even more of a hustle to find a job as a non-tech professional. This is to everyone out there who doesn’t plan or want to be a dev but still wants to be part of a blockchain/crypto business.
My idea was to connect with each other on LinkedIn and upon the completion of a course to go ahead and endorse that person for the respective skill on their LinkedIn page. This would help us, the noobs, get noticed by recruiters and we could also have a dedicated topic here to share stories (tips) about the job hunting.
I’ll start by example, this is me, let’s connect: https://www.linkedin.com/in/repinalexandr

One hand washes the other, both wash the face.

2 Likes

This is a great idea. Earlier this week I turned in my resignation so I can devote myself to this full time. Currently I don’t have a LinkedIn but I bookmarked your post and i will connect when I create one.

I keep thinking about how important it is for all of us to focus on connecting with each other as blockchain grows. It’s not always easy to remember to keep reaching out.

1 Like

@Chase_Donovan Hey thanks for this post. I see no one responded to yours. I feel the same way. I am about halfway into the study plan, finishing the dApp crypto kitties project, learning react and I would have Ethereum security next. I have already spent over a year and I feel I have at least another year to go.
I wonder where you are now? Are you still studying? Are you working?
Honestly, I feel I wanted to believe that studying eth development was easy but I knew that is computer science degree material and I just don’t think it’s that easy at all - Hopefully you found work or have good news on your experiences

@matren hello there, I am trying to see how realistic it is to land a job as Solidity dev - I wonder if you have finished your training and how much time did you actually invest ?
I myself have invested over a year and I feel I have another year to go and I am studying full time. I am running out of money and I just not buying that is that easy as the academy claims - it could just be me but after reading the @aenhsaihan list for the expectations as a dev seem more realistic but I am just not sure but I am feeling a desperate now and wondering if I should just forget and go back to what I was doing before

Hello all. I’m starting my blockchain journey, and have questions on how to write a CV for someone who is entering the industry for the first time. I have worked in the retail and manufacturing industries, and am not sure if I list the work experience from those jobs, or to list experience through participation in blockchain projects, academy work, etc?

Hi! I’m looking for partners for blockchain projects! I have worked with literature, art and music, and have written books and screenplays. I recently completed the advanced Solidity course, Blockchain Business Master Class, and other courses with Moralis. I am developing on the Web, in the Sandbox metaverse, SurfWeb3.com, and Web3Crypto.com (which is still being built).

I WANT TO CONNECT MY JAVASCRIPT AND ETHEREUM DEXs TO MY WEBSITE. DO YOU KNOW OF A GOOD TUTORIAL FOR DOING THIS?

1 Like

I think your pitch for discussing how to land a job is a great idea. It’s definitely important to know where to find job opportunities, but it’s even more important to know how to land them. I completely agree with you that knowledge of the EVM is a desired skill by job candidates in the Ethereum space. I think it would be really helpful to discuss how to acquire that skill as systematically as possible. Your research sounds interesting, I can’t wait to hear more about it! By the way, I found a website that may help you with finding remote jobs as an Ethereum developer, it’s called Jobgether and the link is https://jobgether.com/search/remote-jobs-remote-work-from-home-jobgether. Good luck with your job search!

Welcome to the community! It’s great to see your interest in landing a remote job as an Ethereum developer. As for your question, it highly depends on your interests and schedule. However, based on your experience, Ethereum development could be a good starting point. It’s also great that you have done your research and have some ideas on what skills are in demand in the job market. I’m sure others would love to hear more about your research and how to acquire the necessary skills. So, feel free to share your insights and let’s continue the discussion!