Coinbase to metamask transfer

anybody experience this before???

I have a question. When sending ether from coinbase to my metamask address, the address in the confirmation was perfect except that one of the letters in the string was altered (afterI entered and triple checked) from capital to lower case. It did this twice in row. I entered the numbers by hand and i verified the string numerous times before approving the transaction.
The funds have not appeared in my metamask wallet, however, the two transaction have many many confirmations on the block explorer?
It is my understanding that the addresses are not really case sensitive ( as evidenced in the receive address all lower case in the block explorer and all capitalized up top in the search bar… What gives?
Its been over an hour since I made these transactions and still no funds…

by the way, a zrx transfer went perfect before.just trying to do my homework

I have found my mistake. a good reminder no tonly to use the copy/paste button but also to be extra extra extra careful when writing down public or private keys for cold storage on paper wallet.I mistook a b for a 6. Some lucky bozo gets $5

Thankfully it was just 5$! Also, even when copy/pasting you should double check the first several characters and the last several characters before submitting, as there have been cases of malware that pastes a scammer’s address in place of the copied address when you hit “paste”. Be vigilant!

3 Likes

thats great advice. I will always be sure to check even when i copy or paste as well! I use a separate computer for my crypto, and my phone is running on Brave, only on network provided signal (no public wifi ever) and using proton vpn. I’m paranoid. Even with these protections in place I’m still super paranoid!

2 Likes