CoinHive - Reading Assignment

• 50% drop in hash rate following then last XMR hard fork, also hit by a market drop of 85% within a year. The decision as taken back in March 2019
• Cryptojacking is a malware used to mine crypto by intervening a device/program and taking resources to do so.
• The cryptomining malware from Coinhive, it impacted 12% of organization worldwide.

1 Like
  1. What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable?
    A drop in hash rate and a 85% drop of on the market.

2. What is cryptojacking?
    A peace of software that can be hidden on a PC and be used mine crypto without authorization.

3. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
    Coinhive

2 Likes
  1. The two factors which caused Coinhive to become economically unviable were a 50% drop in the hash rate following the last Monero hard fork and the widespread cryptocurrency market drop.

2. Cryptojacking (also called malicious crypto-mining) is a scheme which uses people’s devices without their consent or knowledge, to secretly mine cyptocurrency.

3. The No.1 most wanted malware for 2018 was Coinhive.

1 Like
  1. one factor was The Cryptocurrency market drop off, with the value of XMR (Monero) slumped over 85% within a year, the other factor was the announced hard fork and algorithm update of the Monero Network on March 9, 2019.
  2. an attempt to mining crypto using website software in PC or Smartphone without the authorization of the device owner
  3. cryptojacking-related with Coinhive
1 Like

1 Like

A 50% drop in the hash rate and the cryptocurrency market drop off ( with the value of XMR slumped over 85 percent within a year).

1. What is cryptojacking?

It is a malicious attack in which rather than damaging the device, it is used to mine cryptos without authorization.

1. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?

Coinhive

2 Likes
  1. The value of XMR had dumped over 85 percent within the previous 12 months. Combined with the announced hard fork and algorithm update of the Monero network on March 9, the Coinhive team agreed to shut down operations.
  2. Cryptojacking is a malicious attack on computers, smart phones and other devices connected to the internet. Very often Coinhive code was involved to extort computing power of the infected device for mining of XMR.
  3. Coinhive.
1 Like
  1. The hard fork and the drop in the price of XMR
  2. When an app uses some of computing power to mine crypto for others.
  3. Crypto jacking malware
1 Like

The Monero hard fork which resulted in a 50% drop in hash rate, as well as the cryptocurrency market drop-off

Mining crypto on someone’s computer or mobile without them knowing that you are using their computing power

Cryptojacking with Coinhive

1 Like
  1. The two factors that caused CoinHive to become economically enviable were a 50% drop in hash rate after a monero hard fork and the monero price dropping 85% after the big 2017 bull run.

2. Cryptojacking is a malware. It runs a miner software on some unsuspecting victims device such as pc, laptop,tablet, cell phone etc. Once installed, the service uses some of the computing power of a browser that loads the site in question.

3. The #1 most wanted malware of 2018 was cryptojacking through CoinHive which overtook ransomware for the number one spot.

2 Likes
    The hard fork of Monero dropped hashrate by 50% coupled by the dramatic 85% drop of the crypto market.

Malicious takeover of computer resources in order to mine cryptocurrency. I remember a time when some websites allowed the option to mine or view ads.

Coinhive

1 Like
  1. A 50% drop in the hash rate and the cryptocurrency market drop off.
  2. It is a malicious attack in which rather than damaging the device, it is used to mine cryptos without authorization.
  3. Coinhive
  1. The reason Coinhive shut down is because of the over 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last XMR hard fork and losing 85% of its value within a year.
  2. Cryptojacking is a form of malware that hides on your device and steals its computing resources in order to mine for valuable online crypto currencies.
  3. Cryptojacking-related with Coinhive.

1:A 50% Hash rate drop and the hard XMR Monero hard fork

2 Cryptojacking is the unauthorized use of your computer and devices by cybercriminals in order to mine for cryptocurrency

3: Crypto mining related to CoinHive

1. 50% drop in the hash rate and the cryptocurrency market decline.
  1. Cryptojacking is the unauthorized use of a computer, tablet, mobile phone, or connected home device by cybercriminals to mine for cryptocurrency.
  2. Coin hive.
    1. Market crash - the value of XMR slumped over 85 percent within a year. 2) 50% drop in hash rate after Monero hard fork which updated a mining algorithm.
  1. Cryptojacking is a malicious crypto mining. It steals computer resources to run mining code.
  2. According to cybersecurity firm Check Point the top three most wanted malware strains were all cryptojacking-related with Coinhive.

What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable?

According to the article the 1st reason coinhive became economically inviable was the over 50% drop in hash rate and the 2nd reason is that it was hit hard by the cryptocurrency market drop off, with the value of XMR dropping over 85% within a year.

What is cryptojacking?

Crypto jacking is when code gets installed on a computer, usually unknowingly by the downloader, once downloaded, the service uses some of the computing power usually in the browser to mine cryptocurrencies.

What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?

quoted from the article. " the top three most wanted malware strains were all cryptojacking-related with Coinhive, sealing the top spot for the 13th consecutive month."

over the 50 percent drop in the hash rate following the last monero hard fork. the second reason is because of the crypto currency market drop off

1. What is cryptojacking?

is when you use a javascript-based digital currency mining service that banks on a computer code to be installed on websites. onced installed the service uses some of the computing power of a browser that loads the site in questions

1. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
    Cryptojacking related with coinhive
  1. Because of the drop in the hashrate because of a hardfork in Monero at the time.
  2. By hijacking the victims computer and using some of its resources for mining.
  3. At that time cryptojacking was very popular.
2 Likes
  1. XMRs 50% drop in hashrate hardfork and [cryptocurrency market drop off of XMR over 85 percent within a year.
  2. mining service which sb unknowingly installs (for example though an app) and which then mines coins in the background and uses the devices power
  3. ransomware