Development Environment for React

Welcome to the discussion about the course chapter Development Environment for React

Feel free to ask, share, and discuss any topic from this chapter in this thread here, but please everything related to the topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m so impressed with this course so far. The lessons on productivity tools where Zsolt goes over adding VS Code extensions for code snippets are so good. It’s these kind of extra touches that add so much value to the course. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @mayjer.

1 Like

I am finally understanding something :rofl:

4 Likes

This course was the best decision I ever made!

5 Likes

by far - one of the best hands-on courses i saw… so detailed… and it really led you by the hand… thanks @zsolt-nagy!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hold yourself back when it comes to experimenting, because leaving your comfort zone means more rapid growth. It feels easier when you follow a paved road. Getting stuck and googling things that are not in the course an inevitable component of growth. As you advance, these issues will inevitably pop up.

7 Likes

i’m loving this course it is very very clear explanation and cool to see javascript working with html and really make something very excited for what’s coming.

2 Likes

On the checklist it calls for version control system from git-scm.com as well as Git Bash from gitforwindows.org. Is it just me or are these two the same thing? The .exe files have the exact same name coming from the two different sites.

You will need a version control system called Git. Get it from https://git-scm.com/.

If you are using a Windows machine, you will need a reliable command line tool called Git Bash. Install it from https://gitforwindows.org/.

Hi,

I wanted to ask the same question because I don’t think we ran through installing git-scm.com as we did with all the other installations.

Did you install it ok? Are you on Windows system?

Julie

@zsolt-nagy

Hi,

I just tried downloading it and it is the exact same file in my download folder. I am going to skip it for now but would like some feedback.

Thanks,
Julie

I have gone ahead with only the one download and all seems to be fine so far.

1 Like

Yes, same here.

Thanks,

@zsolt-nagy @thecil

Hi,

I’m using windows, i think my default browser is Microsoft Edge, so my React file has opened up there. I was just wondering if this is a good browser to use in this course and as a developer in general. If not, which one is recommended?

Also, my browser says the following:
[HMR] Waiting for update signal from WDS… (see print screen below). It does not refresh when I fix an error, it just stays there.
Can you advise on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Thanks,
Julie

Hi @Julie66,

It is advisable to use Chrome for development purposes. It has way better development tools compared to Edge.

This won’t cause issues in your development as this is just a warning and not an error. It just says Hot module replacement is not working which essentially means whenever you start your application and make changes, it does not immediately reflect the changes and has to be refreshed again to see them.

To fix this, we need to make certain changes into webpack config. You can find certain fixes over here - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53905253/cant-set-up-the-hmr-stuck-with-waiting-for-update-signal-from-wds-in-cons.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have advices to install a more recent version of nodejs then the one I get in Ubuntu 20.04 - Its only v10 so far and anything I try to upgrade it or install it from a repo is not working I also tried to install NVM but got pushed back when needed to uninstall truffle and everything to work with nvm rather then npm. Do you advise to start a fresh install of everything node from the beginning, starting with the version manager ?

1 Like

Hi @Julie66, hope your great.

IMO, all browsers are good or better than others in some few points, so my advice (and what i do) is to have multiple browsers, in case one fails to show something properly, you can just open the same file with another one to compare how they behave… So i have, firefox, chrome, brave, vivaldi, opera, edge are all good browsers.

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

1 Like

Hey @Gae_mon, hope you are great.

I suggest to not use ubuntu version 20.04 for the courses, most of the programs that we use in the courses are not 100% compatible yet with the version 20.04, so you should use the version 18.04 because you will find less software issues.

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

Hi @thecil

I am now getting this error as I am following the video for git repository in the Academy, this one. Can you help me trouble shoot? Can I uninitialize and initialize again? I’ve moved on with the tutorial but the html file I created does not show up in the change section of git tab in visual studio. I’m not sure what i did to mess up the init command. I hope someone can help me figure this out.

UPDATE: I checked my directories in git bash and then did the init git again, and so far it seems to be fine and I haven’t seen the error again. Not sure if I need to do anything more at this point.

troubleshoot?

Hi,

You could try running the command git status to see if your git is properly tracking your changes. If the git is giving you feedback then changes are being tracked.

On top of that, visual studio does not need extra plugins to add git. Git is inbuilt with it and if the project is initialised with git then you should see it automatically in the changes Tab.

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like