Ethereum Introduction - Discussion

Hello.
I see two courses {Ethereum Programming 101} and {OLD Ethereum Programming 101}.

From where should I start from old or new?

New! The new one replaced the old one.

1 Like

I’m watching the EVM session, and I don’t understand the notion of all EVMs executing the smart contract. I can see why all of them would want to evaluate it, to ensure that it’s valid, but if the smart contract is “send my kid money after he gets good grades”, how it is possible that this smart contract can be executed on all nodes? Once the first node executes, the ETH is gone. What happens with the rest of the nodes?

Really enjoying the academy, Ethereum 101 is only the second course I am starting, so far so good.
Thank you Ivan and Filip.

1 Like

Dont know if this is the right place to ask about bitcoin tx.
In blockchain 101 Ivan spoke about sending btc back to you in one single tx, and in eth course it is mentioning it again.
There is two aspects wich i dont understand:
Why whould one do something like this?
Can you explain a real example how can you do this in one tx? I mean one tx is me sending btc to other wallet wich can be mine or other person, not split the btc between me and other person, so using two wallets in same tx…dont understand @filip

1 Like

Because in bitcoin, we use utxo’s. for example you have only 1 utxo of 1btc and you need to pay someone 0.3btc. Then you need to send the whole utxo of 1btc as an input and send 0.7 (minus the fee) back to another address of yourself. In ethereum it doesn’t work that way. in ethereum we have an account model with a certain balance where you just send 0.3eth wich gets subtracted from your balance.
so bitcoin works with batches of Bitcoin (like cash) and Ethereum works with accounts

4 Likes

so if i have 1 utxo of 1btc and send 0.3 btc to a friend the network by its own create a tx in wich is sent the 0.3 btc to my friend and 0.7 btc back to my own adress? so now i only have 1 utxo of 0.7 btc?

1 Like

yes, the transaction will have 1 input of 1btc and 2 outputs. 0,3 (friend address) and 0,7(own addres)
You now will have an utxo of 0.7 minus some fee paid for this transaction.

2 Likes

lets sopose i have 1 utxo of 0.7 btc and another one of 0.3 btc and i want to sent 0.3 btc to one friend. the network recognize my 0.3 utxo and spend it? in this case just one input and one output?

1 Like

yes, but you still need to pay a small fee, so you still need both utxo’s or paying your friend 0.299… :blush:

2 Likes

After completing the Blockchain & Bitcoin course I’m looking forward to the Ethereum course lets the games begin!!

3 Likes

Yes. Blockchain & Bitcoin 101 was enlightening.
Thank you.

1 Like

Great. Looking forward to it.

Hello everyone, Looking forward to learning as much as possible from semi-lockdown in the Tri-state area in Maryland. My new life hobbies include learning about cryptos, art, large 3,000 piece puzzles, 2.5x of my family, and plenty of yard/house work. Hope everyone can find new ways to be happy, healthy, and entertained through this life limiting time in our experience.

2 Likes

@Ivan I have just completed the blockchain and bitcoin 101 course, it has given me a good base understanding but it has raised more questions in my mind that I need to explore to further consolidate what I think I have learned. Question on the certificate, is it possible that it can be issued with students full name and not the name used in the chat and with avatar? Thank you. Now moving onto Ethereum…

1 Like

Email [email protected]

Hello ! So I have a basic but important question (on a noob point of view) concerning smart contracts. How can the Blockchain verify something physical and tick the boxes as conditions are respected ?
Concrete example : I donate to a charity using a token designed for donation purposes. The charity will receive the funds once it has met its goals. How can the blockchain know that these goals were reached ? For instance, if the goal of the charity is to create an urban farm to improve local and biologic agriculture, how can the EVM and the blockchain verify that ?
Thanks a lot in advance and stay safe :pray:

3 Likes

@ivan
I just finished the Ethereum course. In contrast to the Bitcoin 101 course, the Ethereum course is short and not as deep as the Bitcoin and blockchain 101 course. Maybe you could add more content to it. Tell people more about the different tokens (utility, security, equity). I think there are also some standards for non-fungible tokens. Why do Ethereum want to switch to POS? Why do Ethereum has scalability problems? Where are the problems of Ethereum? From the Ethereum 101 course I am a little bit disappointed. Maybe it is the case because I have some prior knowledge. But in my view it is too short and to superficial. Talking about the problems of a platform/crypto could also resulting in possible solutions!

1 Like

As I am not seeing any replies I am taking it that you have not had one yet?

not video to watch .It suppost to be one?