Feeling lost and want to quit

hey everyone. im starting to have issues with even the beginner courses and their content. i only made it to booleans in the course and am already to the point i want to quit and dont know what to do. the things asked in the exercise were not taght in 8 mins worth of video. ive posted about not understanding with 0 replies and at this point am unsure if i even want to continue with this.
Any insight would be great before i commit a months salary to feel like i cant finish something

8 Likes

Hi @Out8reak6,
Which exercise in which course? I will be happy to help you out anytime, just drop me a message.
The frustration you experience is perfectly normal and I fully feel where you are at. I started this whole journey around 90 days ago and went through a lot of pain ever since. Learning to deal with frustration is really an important part of the journey. The key here is to be persistent and learn to learn, really. The courses in the academy are a very good start and they will help you with many things but (!) they can never teach you everything and you will still have to do a lot of research on your own, which is where the actual learning experience starts.
I signed up for a yearly Pro Plan 90 days ago, and also wanted to quit early on for similar reasons. But I decided to commit and keep hunting my vision of working full-time crypto as soon as possible. I know now that this was the right decision, as things are unfolding nicely!
I will not try to hide the fact that becoming a successful and happy developer is hard work, because, guess what, IT IS!
There is a good reason why good developers earn high salaries, because they do a freaking hard job most of the time. Not only do you have to make sure to understand core concepts of programming as in-depth as possible, but also, you will have to keep up with latest developments in the field, such as new vulnerabilities and upgrades. Becoming a dev means adopting a certain mindset, and it definitely is a life-style choice!

If you love solving problems and love to keep learning on a daily basis - look no further, software development got you covered :sweat_smile:

Be assured that, with every problem you solve, you sharpen your problem solving skill and before you know it, you are getting more and more geeky and capable of building cool stuff! Have a look at my portfolio and check out what I have been able to achieve within 90 days of daily learning. I highly recommend you also setup a portfolio right away and keep track of your progress - this is highly beneficial!

I had some coding experience before starting with the IoT Academy, but Blockchain Development is a whole new level and it is good to always remain humble and better think of yourself as a beginner, because there is always more to learn.

Ok, wow, I hope this can motivate you and that this was not TL;DR, but I really felt that you might need to read this. Again, never hesitate to reach out, I will be happy to help you whenever I can!

18 Likes

Hey @Out8reak6, hope you are ok.

Could you please provide more details on your issue? Maybe you can post your code so we can review it, any specific doubt on what you are not understanding quite well would be great too.

Please provide your code following this guide:

Carlos Z

3 Likes

Like guys have already stated above, its important to hang in there, you will soon reach “escape velocity” in your knowledge where you are comfortable confronting new problems and figuring them out but you have to continue in order to reach that point.

The most important skills a developer has is learning. Learning programming is not about learning code, its about learning how to learn because there is always a new technology, new programming language, new way of building apps and developers have to be able to quickly learn new things all the time.

That’s exactly what the academy prepares you for.

And of course we never want you to be completely stuck and waste time, that’s why @thecil and team are here to assist you.

9 Likes

Amazing, thanks for sharing your apps you built and your academy journey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

var answer = prompt(“Where is the capital of Morocco?”);

var correct_answer = “Rabet”;

If (answer == correct_answer) {

console.log(“Exactly”);

}

else {

console.log(“Sorry the answer was” , correct_answer);}

this is the answer you guys provide. no where in the content up to the point im at does it explain the term nor use of prompt… Nor how to recall it. i feel like the exercises on this section are above and beyond whats actually been taught in the course thus far

4 Likes

The only issue that I found in your code is on your if declaration, you write If (capital i), where it should be if (lowercases).

After that your code is working great.

Carlos Z

i know that. this was straight from the answer sheet. This is the problem im having, trying to word the question properly. i understand that code is correct but where do i type the question for it to give me the answer so i can test what im coding.
And again if i would not have looked at the answers i would not have know to use prompt because no where in the content was it taught.

3 Likes

I am feeling the exact same way. I started out hard charging and got to about the same please you did and realized the same thing. The exercises are far more advanced than what is being taught. There is some kind of disconnect in the training material. A beginner Is a beginner and don’t feel like this is being into account when providing this training. We should be able to complete the training and perform the exercise. I have to look at the answer and then ask myself how the heck was suppose to know with the training provided. Please Help

5 Likes

I agree, bit of a disconnect from what’s being taught and what’s expected in the practise exercises. I can follow along the videos fine but there’s no way a beginner could come up with the correct answer to some of the exercises without the cheat sheet. Look at the solution to question 24 of the same practise topic for example…

var passenger = 0;
var station1 = parseInt(prompt(“Station 1! How many people go on the
bus?”));
if (passenger + station1 >= 30) {
console.log(“The buss is full”, passenger + station1 - 30, “have to
walk.”);
passenger = 30;
}
else {
passenger += station1;
console.log(station1 + " passengers are going on the bus.");
}
var station2 = parseInt(prompt(“Station 2! How many people go on the
bus?”));
if (passenger + station2 >= 30) {
console.log(“The buss is full”, passenger + station2 - 30, “have to
walk.”);
passenger = 30;
}
else {
passenger += station2;
console.log(station2 + " passengers are going on the bus.");
}
var station3 = parseInt(prompt(“Station 3! How many people go on the
bus?”));
if (passenger + station3 >= 30) {

Should we as beginners be able to write code like that??

Or should we just copy into the console the solution from the cheat sheet for practise, persevere and eventually things will become more familiar?

Thanks

3 Likes

@Out8reak6, @Gaz, @shonesto, hope guys are well.

I know programming can be really hard at the start, but what i could suggest is to keep practicing, programming is not about know a lot of stuffs in coding, the more you practice, the more tricks you start to catch.

It is completely ok to check the solution of each exercise if you need to, what i think is important is to really understand what the code does, even if does not come to your mind at the moment, eventually you will know some tricks to write the same but for other project.

I mean, conditionals are the same here on JS or c++ for example, but is important to know what an IF conditional does exactly for example. So just keep practicing and eventually you will start to learn new ways to do the same :nerd_face:

Hope this help guys, any question please ask

Carlos Z

3 Likes

I understand your point at keep trying. What all of us are saying (its nice to know I’m not the only one that felt this way) is that as a “beginner” the course exercises are well beyond the knowledge base of the people taking them. Thus leading to the frustration and possibly the “walk away” effect on someone if they feel something is too far out of their grasp.
As GAZ stated, there is no way you or anyone on your staff could have said “hey, they will know how to code these exercises no problem!!” when they made the content for this course. In my opinion the way these exercises were set up is a guarantee fail point for almost anyone new to this.

2 Likes

I have no problem with trying and practicing. I can research and find a way to learn Jave script but I paid for this training based on the fact the it almost guarantees a begginer should be able to learn and program with what is taught here. This is not the case the disconnect should really be addressed before allowing newbies to spend good money and go nowhere because the training is simply not adequate enough to move forward. I have gone thought just about every course on program outline until I got to programming and I am at a stand still. Product simply not delivered as promised.

6 Likes

wow

iv just paid premium for a year and going real slow - i hoped i wouldnt hear that ill hit a wall but i guess its gonna be a hard learning experience

1 Like

Keep up the Good Work!

1 Like

It would be nice if they taught us about prompt and other values that showed up on these exercises. It did take some steam out of my boat . I finished that program but i will be reviewing it again and again

@Out8reak6

I’m not sure what your system is for studying, but I’d like to share with you what’s been helping me with the Javascript programming courses so far.

I believe the questions are structured to make you search up examples to figure out what keywords to execute in the console. For example, I had no idea what to do with the grocery list or bus questions despite looking them up, which led me to look at the answer sheet. All that said, if you run into questions that force you to look at the answer sheet, signal those questions out and keep reviewing and repeating them until you fully understand the parts you have trouble grasping. You can also take the parts you’re having troubles with and put them into your own coding problems. For example, I had some trouble fully grasping the prompt function, so I made my own example to execute in the program to remember it easier. My personal strategy for remembering things is to attach something funny to a line of code I’m trying to remember.

I understand your struggles in the course. Programming is very challenging for us beginners, but I believe the payoff is rewarding, regardless of what we do with the knowledge we gain. Hope this was helpful and keep up the work!

2 Likes

From this post i made it seems im not the olny one having this issue. Im really glad i only paid for the month instead of the full year to get completely railroaded within a course within the first month.
The way these courses were laid out was great until the programming part, the expectation of someone new to the space and understanding how to do this was no where near each other.
The worst part about this “beginners” course was the false hope… Everything goes well until they expect you to do something you were never taught. the first 4 programmes go great i took in a ton of great info then again to get railroaded sucks.
To reply to Jmoff, i signed up for this under the mind set that i was going to be taught by the best. Not to have to sit here and google every answer. If i wanted to learn that way i would just go back to youtube…
At this point the one month trial i was giving myself is up due to this one course, how hard i got stopped out on it and the real lack of guidance given to new comers

2 Likes

i can only say i didnt expect this to easy at all - in fACT I HAVE ENROLED ON AN IT COURSE AT MY LOCAL COLLEGE TO SUPPLEMENT MY WORK

I PAID THE 1 YEAR FULL AMOUNT AND ATM MAYBE CAN DO 15 - 20 MINS A DAY DUE TO OTHER COMMITMENST

ID SAY STICK AT ANYTHING YOU WNAT TO SUCCEED AT - THER IS NO FREE LUNCH AND FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN AND LEARNED ITS WELL PRESENTED BUT I KOW IM GONNA STRUGGEL - TRHAT WHATS THIS FORUM

1 Like

Look I’ll be 100% straight with you right now:

Just for a little context, I live in a poor country, with underpaid jobs even if you go through college.
After high school I went through construction work, to architectural college to being a 3d architectural artist for more than a decade now.

You know what? I hate it! I went through college even if I hated it, all I wanted was to have something to “get a good job” and all that sort of stuff that really never came.

But I was and I’m still being persistent in one thing: crypto! I just love it, every aspect of it and it makes me want to learn even more so I can understand it perfectly… but wait, I’m no programmer! I’m not an engineer either… I just like gaming and pc’s and tech nerdy stuff I’m the “blade runner” movie kind of guy.

so since 2016 every single free minute I had i went to youtube, to google, to forums, any piece of information I could get about crypto and trading… which must say, I’m really no trading pro, just average trading, I’m not rich and I don’t really have the means to “trade volume” really…

And well it has been 1 and a half months in this academy, I already went trough all the basic courses in order, as ordered as you can, currently half way through ethereum 201.

Just this week I landed my first crypto job! after all this years of hearing “its a scam” “you are loosing your time” “you can’t be a programmer, you are an architect already!!” “are you crazy?!”
Can’t really give too much details about it but from all these years I’ve learned a lot about crypto and I’m learning a lot here even from the basic courses (which at first I thought to myself: you already know all of this basic stuff, but I went for it anyways! just to be as ordered as possible)

So, what can I say? Please don’t give up!
I swear to god there’s good stuff ahead of this journey!
Even if I landed a simple non programming related job, its a crypto job and it will allow me to pursue even further, to keep studying, this is really life changing and it all happened on this last weeks.

Please, if you really like this, if you really want this journey into crypto, keep working on it, keep really working on it even if it’s 30minutes a day, I know you all have 30 free mins a day and it’s worth it.

After all the sleepless nights, of going to work, getting to my house and keep working and studying to be a crypto trader, to try and understand better all of this, it finally payed off and it’s just the beginning!
Don’t loose hope!! just keep studying! I swear to god there’s life changing stuff ahead.

11 Likes