Hyperledger in Business - Discussion

Exercise - Build your own Business Blockchain

I think the main pain points to be solved with a centralized video platform like YouTube are:

1. Transparency and efficiency around advertising and compensation. How can advertisers know they are getting what they pay for? How can content creators be compensated fairly and quickly? How can YouTube be fairly compensated for the hosting service it provides? How can users know if there are conflicts of interest or fraud from advertisers?
  2. Censorship resistance, protection against unilateral decisions by YouTube against content or creators they don’t agree with.

Potential solutions using blockchain:

1. Increase transparency and efficiency of the compensation model. Use a smart contract to control the purchase of advertising space. Provide transparency around the compensation of content creators and the infrastructure provider. This could provide quicker payout to content creators, choice for advertisers to target their advertisements more effectively, and the option for creators to opt out of advertisements they do not want running alongside their content.
  2. Provide some “peer node” functionality using blockchain where end users can archive videos they want to keep permanently. Allow users or other infrastructure providers to contribute to and be compensated for platform resources (storage and bandwidth). YouTube could save costs by archiving older videos that are not driving traffic to their platform while users and channels could have a method for permanently storing videos they care about.
1 Like

My solution is a decentralised application for running marketing videos via blockchain. It will have all the department for accounting - editing - marketing - consultancy - security - transaction - payment etc. It maybe tokenise and using cosmos network to communicate.

I am not sure if my blockchain plan is ok, just a thought, you can improve it.

1 Like

The idea for a video sharing platform like youtube:

• Set it up as Hyperledger hosted video content sharing platform
  • Users will need to setup account to get access to the platform and some kind of verification needs to be done to prevent spamming
  • Allows voting system to ensure inappropriate contents are removed, but still remove centralised person / entity from having the power to censor / change / narrate the videos to their own advantage
  • The content creators can tokenise their contents into NFT to make it unique as their own content.
  • Videos are hosted based on the channels people are subscribed to, so the data transmission does not need to be approved by the whole blockchain.
  • Ads still allowed for the creators to gain ad revenue
  • People can get access to the NFT video and use it as part of other people’s contents so the original content creators are notified their video has been used and this could also be used to allow profit sharing.
1 Like

I would keep the video on centralized servers, since this takes up alot of space and resources. I would decentralized everything else on to blockchain. Especially the monetary end of the business, so content creators could get paid in a transparent manner. The hosts and the creators would have full disclosure how the payment method worked. More importantly, the users would be decentralised as well. Users can not be blocked or deleted from the network.

1 Like

The problem I see in the current centralized video platform is

1. We do not know whether a user is banged
  2. We do not know which video has been removed
  3. We do not know how are user data is used.
    But as it is a problem in D-tube, having a huge server is going to be a hard thing to do in Blockchain.
    So besides the server, which is to store the uploaded videos, I would move it to public blockchain.
    There is a ethical issue if there won’t be a clear rule on what are the guidelines for the platform. So would like to try to use smart contract with combination of AI to detect the content.
1 Like

Problems with Centralized Video Sharing Platforms:

• Video Censorship - removal of videos, demonitization of videos

• Abuse of DMCA - total revenue generated by a video can be completely claimed when only a small portion of the whole video is copyright claimed (such claims also invalidate fair use laws)

• Video & Comment Censorship - “Don’t spread fake news, or get banned”

• Bots - manipulate like/dislike ratio

Solutions:

• Cryptocurrency - model similar to Steemit; likes given to videos and comments generate those videos/comments currency.
    Comments are by default sorted ‘by new’ (potentially controversial addition), to solve the ‘fleeting post exposure’ problem as suggested here:
    https://blocksdecoded.com/what-is-steemit/
    All transactions and likes/dislikes will be stored on a public blockchain

• Comments stored on public blockchain; thus they cannot be edited (careful!)

• Metadata of each video (e.g. uploader, copyright holders etc) stored on a public blockchain.

• Videos themselves stored on a centralized server (for now…)

• Main suggestion for specifically a video sharing platform: portions of videos can be DMCA’d/copyright claimed as opposed to current/traditional ‘all or nothing’ approaches (but whole videos can still be claimed, but will be more heavily moderated). For this to happen, the original video must also be uploaded to a blockchain, along with its metadata (most importantly copyright owner). Then only the owner ‘prosecuting’ against the use of the plagiarised material in question OR a 3rd party that is issued a digital certificate to be able to issue DMCA strikes on behalf of the owner, can strike the video. They’d then only get the revenue for the percentage of the video that has been striked. This should solve the problem of the removal of videos. It should also, along with the solution inherent in the steemit model for a decentralized social network, solve the problem of the demonitization of videos, since ultimately the community decides what videos are good/worthy of the currency, rather than a centralized entity.

• DMCA/copyright strike verification could be community-driven to give people a way to earn money. OR maybe AI could do the heavy lifting?

• People could be monetarily penalized for incorrectly striking

I’m sure there are lots of problem with my proposed solution. This is the product of about an hour’s thought experiment so there’s bound to be some improvements needed. I also thought of some solutions involving KYC’d accounts, but I thought it might be controversial and go against the purpose of a decentralized network.

3 Likes

people forget that youtube was processed due to crypto schemes and so the algorithm was changed as a result of that, we also know the adds in the videos with vitalik give me 1 and i give you 2btcs and that is primitite but this is outside the youtube platform and then they can’t do anything, … but in fact they all eat the same dish and this negative attitude is intentional that they were processed is a fact and that adds comes off youtube as well and a fact is the 1% fight against 99% and 1% always win because they are the law, for me the economy should fall globally, not like the one we will see, but what seriously degrades the economic scene so that this disguised tyranny of democracy was overthrown and new ones were created educational values, cultural economics and etc … the world like this, everything is wrong, and something has to be done, cryptography cannot change everything in the world but it will help a lot, the world economy will only be healthy when the printers stop and everybody starts to have more responsability

fuck the system

1 Like

My Solution
Hyperledger in Business

deep-sea fishermen sell the fish product to third parties who in turn sell it to those who have stores in the market, here is my solution to solve the fishermen’s problem:

fishermen implement the blockchain and during fishing tokenize the fish as it gets caught
buyers buy the finished product directly from fishermen.
what are the advantages for fishermen and buyers?
vendors buy the fish cheaper because they eliminate third parties and buy fresher because the logistics are more direct to the final destination where it will be sold.
and the fishermen win because when they reach the land the fish is already sold and at a better price because third parties were eliminated in the sale process

this idea has copyright if it is implemented i want a percentage or be hired to implement this system lol

ps ( salespeople who have been eliminated from the process can come to the ivan on tech academy to learn how they can join the new system to get a new job instead of stealing from fishermen) :rofl:

1 Like

First idea…
□ For a free to use video watch system like youtube the earnings for an uploader comes from advertisement showing during or on the video webpage. The Video itself will be stored on a scalable central cloud file system environment optionally mutliple times globaly redundant for quick delivery when watched by larger amount of viewers.
□ In the blockchain will be the hash of the uploaded video to guarantee the integrity along with crucial metadata, like earnings payment address of the uploader and hash of its KYC data if necessary. Bulk and non-vital data can be in the central database.
□ Blockchain nodes can be like Masternodes with a fee for the Masternode owners and viewers can be balanced over the masternodes for the blockchain access from the central websites service.

1 Like

Part to put on a blockchain: the monetisation part of the exercise should be on the blockchain. I’ve also heard similar problems appearing on OnlyFans these days, where creators don’t get their money for a long time (it just sits in “pending balance” and doesn’t come through to their actual balance)

The videos should live on a centralised database like YouTube so that they don’t have to be deleted to save space in fear of slowing the network down.

2 Likes

Decentralize everything except the content / videos.

2 Likes

I would leave the videos centralised. I would have the algorithms that decide where in the queue a video shows up, as open source. If that is exposing the client too much, then an explanation of the different types of algorithms and how they work need to be available to see. The algorithms cannot be changed without the users voting on the reason for the change. I would use a blockchain as a Governance voting system. Tokens given to the content creators (maybe weighted) will decide on the platform owners’ suggestions for change, if voted yes, then the algorithms are updated and can be viewed and verified as they are open source. Code can be checked via an oracle who has links to various code auditors who check the code hasn’t been changed or has been changed according to the vote outcome, this would add further reassurance to content creators and users. Frequency of checks need to be determined.

2 Likes

First at all is important to considerer wich kind of content creators will have the network. Upon this is possible to open alternatives to distribuite the videos. As many says, due the weight videos must be content in a centralized network wich must be conectede with a hyperledger fabric to process the payments.
Is important considerer that one of the main goal of every creator probably will be important avoid the censorship of a centralized an infraestructure like youtube to share some specific content to a particular public. On that case could exist an effort to create a permisioned network in order to administrate the video content, controlling membership and actions, due the level of suscription and the quantity of payments on average.

2 Likes

I am purely posting my thoughts here without having read any of the other responses.

I would store the account information, usage and stats (friends and likes) information on Hyperledger. The social media website would be running as a conventional cloud web app and the video content would also be stored on cloud services. Potentially for improved performance key stats like likes and viewing statics could be retrieved from the blockchain and effectively cached on a SQL database for improved performance. This would be similar to the way bitcoin nodes store UTXO in a chainstate database.

2 Likes

My two cents:

• Tokenizing content creation and user activity at a given percentage, rewarding creators at a higher rate than YT can.

• Using some decentralized storage solution to ensure the platform runs smoothly.

• Decentralized tool for all participants’ identity verified by the blockchain.

• Spam prevention through blockchain, transparency makes fraud harder to get away with.

3 Likes
  1. Centralized database of views, likes, comments, followers
  • This data can be easily put on blockchain since its just numerical data, doesn’t require much of resources to store this data on a blockchain
  • Code of youtube web browser / app interface (front-end) can be on a blockchain too, so that not only the data is decentralized, but also the interface which shows the data. Video itself is not stored on the blockchain.
  1. Biased censorship (political, activist, personal bias censorship)
  • Censorship admin rights can be possibly managed through staking, using existing governance models which proved to be successful within the crypto industry.
  1. Centralized monetization
  • The data which is used for monetization (views, etc.) and publisher data, including payment accounts, is on the blockchain. This data can be processed by the decentralized algorithm which would determine the amount of monetary reward for each user.

Videos itself would be running on centralized servers. Videos can be taken down, apart from a uploader, only by those who have admin rights acquired through staking which is based on principles of democracy and decentralization.

2 Likes
  1. Currencies are used in Youtube, so we should incorporate cryptocurrencies in the form of stablecoins

2. For video providers’ that have reach certain milestones in follower numbers, are allowed to launch their own tokens as a way for their followers to support the video provider

3. Videos owned by the video provider are kept in their own server/computer. So the videos are centralized toward the owner of the videos. Videos are not stored in the blockchain since the data is large.

4. The advertisers pay the ads fee with stablecoins

5. All the informations: like, subscription, comments, views are stored in the blockchain so that all data is true and reliable.

2 Likes

Videos requires a lot of memory so they should be remained on cloud. Advertisers need proof of the engagement from viewers therefore blockchain can record the data of viewer’s engagement with the videos. A smart contract can be used to pay the content creator and advertisers accordingly. Cryptography can be used for subscription based channels that only want a certain amount of audience blockchain can also ensure the integrity of the payments.

2 Likes

Decentralized system for user administration with personal dats and a rating system. There are incentives for rating content and viewing advertising. Smart contracts are used to negotiate cooperations and advertising contracts between authors and users, and the platform receives corresponding remuneration.

The video material is encrypted and stored on a few (central) powerful nodes. Smart contracts generate the respective addresses of the content and send them to the users.

But honestly, at the moment I don’t know if this could really be the right thing to do.

2 Likes

From a content creator point of view, most of the main issues that they are facing are all surrounding the issue of TRUST.

-Trusting Youtube with their followers data and information.

For content creators who run their Youtube channel as a business, not having access to their client’s information means many limitations to the growth of their business. As for users, we already know by now how our personal information and habits on youtube are translated to valuable data for Youtube to sell to advertisers and others.

Solution

Users can create their own unique identity avatar to access youtube and these data are stored on the blockchain. A smart contract will give users the options of how much of their information they are willing to share. An interesting advertising model to look into is Brave where they allow users to decide if they are will to view ads and if they do they will be rewarded accordingly.

-Trusting Youtube to decide what kind of advertisement to show to their viewers.

I am sure many can relate to this, especially when watching Ivan on Tech and the next popped up a scam videos of crypto airdropping.

Solution

With a smart contract, the community can vote for bad ads and in this case spam ads and they will be banned entirely from the platform once it received X number of votes.

-Trusting Youtube’s governance to decide what kind of content are deem acceptable or not.

I endorse freedom of speech and hate fake news/informations but in my opinion, what is deem appropriate or not appropriate content should ideally be decided by the community instead of a centralized entity.

Solution

To allow the community to govern themselves using smart contracts to reward good content and good behavior from both content creators and users. As well punishing inappropriate content and behavior. The community will decide for themselves the definition of good and bad and vote accordingly.

4 Likes