I get it, but i don't get it

I have been doing my best to just keep pushing through javascript programming, not wanting to dwell on any one topic for too long. It is quite like learning a new language and i just want to keep moving and pick up what comes easy and then maybe go back through again later. Is this a mistake or is it typical for beginners w/ no prior experience to just “get through it” w/o comprehending everything. I feel like Ivan eluded to this being OK and to not worry about getting it right away or completely understanding everything. I think with most of the material I get it. It’s hard to see how it all works together i guess. I could not explain to someone else what i am learning, but i have some understanding of what i am learning. Not able to articulate or explain it.
Does this make sense? I’m halfway through javascript and wondering if i should just get through it or if i should go back to the beginning now?.. i know it’s important but want to move on too. Maybe just get through it and then go back through the whole thing while i am beginning EOS? how much understanding and comprehension must i have NOW?

That’s normal, don’t worry.

Complete the javascript course. Once you have finished, set yourself a task of doing something similar, but not the same. Build it yourself and if you get stuck, refer to the lesson that covered that part. If you still stuck, post on the forum.

Don’t expect to be comfortable with a language until you have build a few projects yourself, from beginning to end with it.

If you want to just stick with it, there will be other projects that utilise java scrip skills like the DApp course.

Kiki

3 Likes

If you’re brand new to coding then avoid EOS for now, the level of C++ knowledge and understanding it requires is significantly higher then Ethereum. Programming on Ethereum with Solidity, which is very similar to javascript, is much easier. Start there. I would recommend the following path:

1. Javascript 101
  2. Ethereum Smart Contract Programming 101
  3. Ethereum Smart Contract Programming 201
  4. Ethereum Smart Contract Security
  5. C++ 101
  6. EOS 101
  7. EOS 201

Consider all these courses as just the starting point. You’ll get a lot of the basic knowledge needed to code something useful, but it’s just the tip of iceburg. The most important thing is learning how to think like a coder. Being able to break down a problem into objects, functions, conditionals, loops, etc. Once you get that, you’ll be able to learn any programming language as they’re mostly the same with slightly different syntax.

If you need more practice I highly recommend checking out HackerRank (free for coders). You solve challenge problems with code, run and test it right in the browser, then submit your answer. Your code is then run against a bunch of test cases and scored:

Once you get a handle on the basics you’ll learn the most from just building stuff.

6 Likes

Very helpful. ThankYou

if I think I might be more interested in focusing on trading alt coins, should I wander off in that direction for a little while and see how it goes, or is the coding knowledge still useful?
i’ve been doing my own research on other areas of crypto from other sources besides here.
curious, but not sure which way to go.

Learning how to code is a very valuable skill, even if you don’t plan to become a professional developer. Ivan has talked about this before on his channel, just trying out new tech in DeFi (Decentralized Finance) like “flash loans” or creating an automated trading strategy requires some coding knowledge. Also if you happen to work on projects were developers are involved it helps immensely.

If you’re interested in trading you’ll also want to check out the following courses:

• Algorithmic Trading & Technical Analysis
    • Learn how to develop automated trading strategies
  • DeFi 101
    • Decentralized Finance, stablecoins (MakerDao + DAI), DeFi protocols as financial lego building blocks
  • DeFi 201 (to be released soon)
    • Advanced topics like building a trading bot to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities in DeFi and Decentralized Exchanges (DEXs) using “flash loans”

As you can see knowing how to code is extremely useful in the above areas. Hodling and trading are great, but Buidlers are the ones that have the most upside opportunity- and this requires learning how to code.

3 Likes

I just bought my first good (no services just yet) with crypto.

It was from a vendor known well in the crypto community, Trezor (I really wanted a Ledger but they don’t ship to my location).

Anyway on the receipt they gave the proverbial ‘thank you blah blah blah…for order TOKEN number: some hash’.

I get why they would ‘hash’ the item I ordered but why would they call it a ‘token’???

Now I guess it could be the context in which they used the label ‘token’. Is it anything that can be traded called a token?

I get it but I don’t get it…

PS: checked the order token number on Blockchair explorer and it wasn’t a block

Is a token ‘white paper’ the equivalent of a security ‘prospectus’?

Derivatives…are savings accounts like dAPP Compound a derivative?

When one thinks derivative in CeFi, one goes on autopilot and thinks options and future…both areas of investing I have never touched as I just never got it nor understood the risk…I am a simple spot market HODLer.

But now that I am struggling through Defi101 and derivatives are defined…would not a simple saving platform qualify as a ‘derivative’ as that value was created, derived, from the dAPP…

I get it, but I don’t get it…popping my head outside my shell every now and then before quickly withdrawing back to HODL my BTC and ETH, lol

1 Like