iOS Technologies

Welcome to the discussion about this lecture. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

2 Likes

Hi Ivan,

Quick question. By web-app (e.g. in the restaurant example) do you mean like a responsive webpage?

Hi @ivan
I wonder if for web-app like in the example in the video it can be use Swift. So lets say i know Swift only, can it work work for both cases?
Also the quetion from @Kou is interesting…

Hi. I´m not completely sure what you mean, so I have to look at the example in the video and come back to you with my answer.
But I would also be interested to read what you think? Do you think it would work in both cases? I would encourage you to also use google or documentation to learn how you can utilize the web to find the answers.

I’ll look at the example tomorrow and help you with your question.

Ivo

As project manager you need to be able to step back and think long-term about project use case - Do you need performance, hardware control and hardware access? In this case you should choose a native approach. If you have a very simple use case, or a very simple app that requires the reuse of code between different platforms , then you should use the web app approach.

1 Like

There’s a Microsoft platform called Xamarin which allows a developer to develop for iOS & Android.

1 Like

I believe he is referring to the Apps being interactive and responsive. Since they are not resource intensive thus performance will not be an issue and since this type of website is simple not requiring interaction with actual components of a users device like switching on their camera, torchlight, or other hardware components using a Web-app may be suitable as you can easily deploy on different platforms

1 Like

Hi!

What makes native apps more expensive to build and maintain than web apps?

Where does one draw the line between performance heavy or not? I.e. at what point is an app considered performance heavy?

1 Like

On native apps, you must deployed for different OS (windows, linux, android, IOS, MAC OS…) this could require to hire different programmers, because not all OS use the same programming language, meaning not all programmers knows all languanges.

While a web app, you could only need 1 programmer, maybe 2 max. Then all kind of devices (mobiles or PCs) will be able to use your app, because is not installed on the device (meaning that depend on a package running on the device), your app is available at the same way for everyone through your web-site.

When you have to consider “perfomance heavy” apps, we are talking about resources, how much RAM, CPU, Storage our app will use. Good apps makes an efficient use of resources, meaning it will never eat all the resources of the device, resource requirements are really low.

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

2 Likes

why not do the social network on the web ?? these days all cell phones are fast, right?

Gotcha, in regards to the first question. :slightly_smiling_face: The rest is still somewhat vague.

From the videos, I got that apps use up resources, some more, others less. But what is the measuring stick?

For example, a company wants an app built that could, or not, be “image-heavy” like Ivan mentioned. At what point then would the app be considered heavy-performance and thus benefit from being built as a native app? 10 images? 50? 100? X amount of MB?

What line needs to be crossed in terms of RAM, CPU and storage for an app to be considered performance heavy?

@thecil
Thank you for your articulated description pertaining to iOS development.
Your explanations are very helpful.
Best Regards,

2 Likes

that is too vague to answer right now so many variables; it seems better to search in google or get together the details to measure; otherwise these questions are strawman related;
i would say if you have an iOS watch to display images thne use a native app;
or these new VR products with lot of images in 360; definitely native app!
but who knows?! i am learning as well

1 Like