Maker DAO - opening a new vault

@amadeobrands

While opening a new vault in Oasis.apps/borrow, it says there is a one time set up to configure the vault and it is showing gas fee of $34. Is this normal? Why is it so high? Any way around this?

1 Like

@amadeobrands

I figured out the gas thing, but now as I’m trying to generate dai, it is telling me that

A Vault requires a minimum of 500 Dai to be generated

also

MAX AVAIL TO GENERATE 40.31 DAI

I didn’t notice this problem in your example or in other tutorials I’ve looked at.

How do I get around this error message?

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @Julie66, hope you are ok.

Are you setting up a oasis vault on the testnet or mainnet?
With oasis vault, you have to lock (deposit) ETH on it to be able to generate a portion of DAI based on your collaterization ratio (above 150% is good enough to avoid quick liquidation of the vault).

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

Hello thecil,

All ok. I tried setting it up on both, the mainnet and the testnet.

On the mainnet - I gave up because I found out that the governance of maker dao protocol specifically about oasis vaults has changed and they are no longer allowing small vaults to be opened. That solved my issue because I thought it was something I was doing wrong when it wasn’t. But the lecture in Defi 101 should have a disclaimer about this for mainnet users.

The test net - I succeeded in opening a vault and borrowing dai, however I couldn’t figure out how to access the save protocol or the testnet or the chai money protocol.

Perhaps there could be some links or instruction on how to access testnet for various parts of the protocol or different protocols.

Other than that, I just moved on and found some other more current defi protocols to use i.e. uniswap.

Thanks,
Julie

1 Like

Glad to know that you solved, I haven’t realize that oasis vaults rules has changes, just keep in mind that is always better to use the testnet for researching than mainnet (funds will be at risk).

I agree with you and thank you for notifying it, I will take note on this so we can create a new lesson about a disclaimer for the mainnet.

It could be very difficult to made some instructions on each protocol, but i do like the idea for more resource material like videos or lecture for tutorials on different protocols in testnet.

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

$190 gas fees to open vault.

1 Like

Ya, it wasn’t worth it for me at this time. Did you do it?

No its not worth it at the minute gas fees far to high.