Nodes - Why run one?

Hi Guys,

What is the incentive for people to run nodes? I understand that Miners get the block rewards but what benefit do people get from running nodes? I know someone has to do it but it seems like it would mean dedicating some hardware to be running all the time and of course it costs electricity too.

Thanks!
Justin

3 Likes

Hi there Justin. There is no incentive for running a full node if you don’t mine. All miners have to have a full node in order to mine new blocks. If you decide to run a full node without being a miner you are doing it for the sake of the community. Just like torrent works. No one gets any benefit for sharing files but they do it because they want to help other.

3 Likes

Another reason could be for software developers working on apps that use bitcoin. Running a node gives the app direct local access to the blockchain.

3 Likes

I just started running a Lightening Net node on a Raspberry Pi 4. No incentives, but it is really cool to be apart of the network. I believe ( I could be wrong ), but you can get transaction fees by running Lightening Node. Probably only a few sats here and there. STACK SATS!

You can also run Bitcoin Core wallet full node. It takes some time to update the blockchain, but again it is cool to be apart of the network.

https://bitcoin.org/en/wallets/desktop/windows/bitcoincore/

1 Like

Thanks for that! I’m interested in what you said about running a node on a Raspberry Pi 4. I heard about this:

Which looks interesting but it’s American and I’m in the UK. I haven’t looked too closely yet but it looks like you can just download the software rather than buy their hardware.

How did you make yours?

I will look into doing this once I am back earning again!

Cheers!

1 Like

Yeah, this. I was running an eth node for this reason.

1 Like

@JustinP I just followed this video!: https://youtu.be/77BBQWg1n8w

He goes step by step, just be sure to install the latest version for Raspiblitz. You can buy all of the hardware on Amazon (links are in the video description). I hope this helps!

1 Like

If you’re a strong believer in the Bitcoin ethos, you’ll do what it takes to support the network.

The more nodes, the more secure the network is.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’m running MynodeBTC and it is amazing!

5 Likes

As we learned in blockchain part 1 in the academy: Don’t trust, verify. So I decided to run a bitcoin full node. Me and my Raspiblitz are part of the big boys blockchain called Bitcoin and therefor it a little bit safer…decentralized.
Last week I earned 15 satoshi for routing 27 payments in the lightning network. Brilliant, it works.
I celebrated this in my favorite coffeeshop with a bitcoin paid espresso (no sugar, no milk…as we all know) Price: 26409 Satoshi…only heroes can do this.

If anyone needs help for running a raspiblitz…do nor hesitate to contact me.

3 Likes

Awesome :+1:
let’s connect and open a channel or something. You can find me on social media @ziomanzo

1 Like

Hi Fabrice …we can do so:-) Send me a direct message via Twitter. I (@729cubes) added you .

1 Like

Hi Fabrice, what exactly is MYnodeBTC?

1 Like

It’s like Raspiblitz, but with some extra applications and a nice graphicical user interface. It’s free and open-source.

If you pay 99 dollars, you get more support on telegram and then you can use more applications. You can always buy the raspberry pi and hard-drive etcetera on their website.