Programming Project - Phase 1

Hey @Vivek20

Can you give an example of the kind of errors you are getting?
Also in JS usually you handle errors by using catch statements, but really I would need to see the errors to be more precise.
Waiting for you code I wish you a nice day,
Dani

Thanks Dani, perhaps I’m just over complicating things. I’ll post some code later.

1 Like

If you need help I am here :slight_smile:

Finally got finished up with part 1! :smiley: This was my first time using bootstrap so I had to learn how to use the CSS with that which was a great learning opportunity. I do still need to add the error handlers and tests but will sharpen that up after part 2. Thank you @dan-i for the help on this first part. Hopefully it came out well.

Page Responsiveness
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJQPx8aTP-z7suPxwcKittvkEOYvVh3L/view

Contract Functionality
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1smZffGkp-CB1iZFzDWB_TPfz0vfz0A/view

1 Like

Hi @dan-i

My code is below :point_down:
https://github.com/Suveett/coinFlip-Dapp.git

It’s the same since last 9 days wherein i committed some changes.
The problem is in this line below :point_down:

receipt.events.contractFunded(function(error, result){
            alert("The Contract has now been funded by :" +  result.returnValues.amount(web3.utils.fromWei(amount, "ether")) + "Ether");
        })

I am asking specifically for an Alert, but there is no pop up on my Window:

Please let me know by having a look at my code. Probably I haven’t wrapped my head around catching events properly, although I feel sensibly that I am doing the right things ( right lines of code)

So let me know.

Also, today while reloading my localhost:8000, I see that Metamask has stopped injecting web3 ?
can you tell me the changes in code so as to get around this :point_up:

Thanks and Regards

su.kal Crypto

Hey @Su.kal.Crypto

I checked your main.js last time and I tried to play with your contract too this is why I was suggesting to check the faq, you should not use the receipt but the contractnstance :slight_smile:
We created a step by step procedure that should clear all the doubts: FAQ - How to listen for events

This is an example of how it suppose to look like:

instance.events.newNumber(function (error,result){
    console.log('Here it is' + ' ' + result.returnValues._newNumber)
  })

You can also use contractInstance.once, check this out, I wrote a clean and easy code to showcase: https://github.com/dani69654/CoinFlip/blob/master/client/main.js

Also the web3 docs explains it really good and gives you lots of examples:

Give it a try and keep me posted.

Regards,
Dani

Thanks @dan-i :blush:
Will check and try out the entire code and get back to you, and also understand where I am going wrong ans then implement corrections in my code …
Su.kal Crypto

1 Like

Got an Error with the following Code when i want to get my balance:

window.ethereum.enable().then(function (accounts) {
    users = accounts;
    contractInstance = new web3.eth.Contract(abi, contract, { from: accounts[0] });
    console.log(contractInstance.events);

contractInstance.events.contractFunded((err, ev) => {
      $("#result").html("Funded");
      console.log('Funded', ev)
    });
    contractInstance.events.wonFlip((err, ev) => {
      $("#result").html("Won");
      console.log('Won', ev)
    });
    contractInstance.events.loseFlip((err, ev) => {
      $("#result").html("Lost");
      console.log('Lost', ev)
    });

$("#balance").click(() => {
    contractInstance.methods.getBalance().call().then(function (res) {
      $("#contractBalance").html(web3.utils.fromWei(res[1], "ether") + "Ether");

})

function getBalance() public view returns (uint256) {
    return address(this).balance;
}
Uncaught (in promise) Error: Internal JSON-RPC error.
{
  "message": "VM Exception while processing transaction: invalid opcode",
  "code": -32000,
  "data": {
    "0x5fbd1fccf1cfc4166a4eb02aaff649068f8d28d827491cc1791c5a7f2dc37a18": {
      "error": "invalid opcode",
      "program_counter": 320,
      "return": "0x"
    },
    "stack": "RuntimeError: VM Exception while processing transaction: invalid opcode\n    at Function.RuntimeError.fromResults (/Applications/Ganache.app/Contents/Resources/static/node/node_modules/ganache-core/lib/utils/runtimeerror.js:94:13)\n    at /Applications/Ganache.app/Contents/Resources/static/node/node_modules/ganache-core/lib/blockchain_double.js:568:26",
    "name": "RuntimeError"
  }
}```

Could anyone help? i can deposit to the smart contract. but when i try to check the balance it crashes always. any idea why?

Hi guys,

I’m running into an issue when I redeploy my contract with an added function. I’m not able to see the added function when I console.log the instance, even though I updated my abi and contract address. Can someone help me with this? It’s really frustrating and doesn’t make any sense to me why this is happening.

Hi @niore

Can you just console.log(res) and post the result?

$("#balance").click(() => {
    contractInstance.methods.getBalance().call().then(function (res) {
         console.log(res)
    })

Hi @KaiStryker

Please post your abi and your smart contract.
You either did not update your ABI correctly, or your python server is not updating the changes.

Thanks,
Dani

Hey Dani,

I fixed it, thanks. Turns out all I needed to do was clear the cache in my browser.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I have to do the project 1 after I have finished C++ and javascript, I got confused a bit when I was checking Github, I got so much random information about Github not organized wihtout reaching what I need for my project, probably I’m going to do a grocery list with javascript.
Do I have to write on atom first then create a connection? anybody can help me if you a good tutorial about it?
Thanks in advance

flip with 1 ether

confirmation metamask

lost

won

payout prize

1 Like

New issue:

I am trying to call an event and log the results on the Frontend but every time I try to do this the site doesn’t respond with the results. Here is the code:

.then(contractInstance.getPastEvents(‘Results’,
{
fromBlock:‘latest’
},function(error, events){
console.log(events); })).then(function(events){
$("#get_results_output").text(events._results);

When I try $("#get_results_output").text(events), that works but of course that only returns the text object on the page.

P.S.

What I’m trying to return is a string that says either “You Won!” or “Sorry Try Again!”

Update: I figured it out. The solution is:

.then(contractInstance.getPastEvents(‘Results’,
{
fromBlock:‘latest’
},function(error, _events){
console.log(_events); })).then(function(_events){
$("#get_results_output").text(_events.events.Results.returnValues[’_results’]);
});

When I run this however, in the console.log the event is from the last transaction and not the current one. How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 11.28.16 PM|690x419

1 Like

Can you( or someone) explain to me why you wrote the code like that?

let result = receipt.events.flipResult.returnValues.value === ‘1’ ? ‘Heads’ : ‘Tails’

Im trying to understand why this format is effective for what you wanted to accomplish.

Hi @jad

GitHub has a nice helloworld tutorial: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

@KaiStryker

You could use .once and add filters to your event listeners.
Docs: https://web3js.readthedocs.io/en/v1.2.11/web3-eth-contract.html#once

An example made by myself: https://github.com/dani69654/CoinFlip/blob/master/client/main.js

Ok thanks a lot! I get it now

1 Like

So im practically done with this phase but I’ve been consistently getting an out of gas error come up. What could possibly be the reason for this?

I’ve upped my gas amount while conducting the transaction and I sometimes still receive this error. Why am I out of gas only sometimes?

I also noticed that this happens most often when I make consecutive transactions.