Questions about Provenance

Hi everyone
Just listened to the Provenance video (yes, I am an absolute beginner)
Ok, Ivan talks about provenance and consensus, and the benefits of blockchain in the supply chain.
Regarding the Milk-Yoghourt example. Ok, transactions are recorded in the blockchain and then you can track the ingredients, where they com from, where they go to…etc… but this is about transactions, this happens when you issue/account the invoice or make the payment but that doesn t guarantee that the ingredients (sweeteners in the example) have been actually mixed with the yogourt, That is a phisical process, how can this be reflected in the blockchain. If this doesn t happen then TRsutlessness is in question, isn´t it?
I don´t know if I have been clear enough with my doubt.
Thanks to anyone who answers.

I think I get what you are asking, and my understanding is that the other companies involved in the yoghurt-making chain can confirm or deny the transaction based on direct knowledge of the process (i.e. what sweeteners the previous farmer used) so its sort of like old school meets new school, if that makes sense. Their deep industry knowledge means they can vouch for their supplier, but if there is no consensus on the previous block’s veracity, the chain does not go through to the next stage.

Hi Jill thanks

When you say one party vouches for another that implies trust, and blockchain is supposed to be trustless, because anyone can verify the transacxtion in the chain. But my doubt was regarding physical processes, you can validate the purchase, the payment etc in the chain but , the "mixing of that specific sweetener and no other with the yoghurt, how is that reflected in the chain?

I see your point. I will wait for some one else to chime in and add clarity! :laughing: