Substrate - Discussion

Have you checked if you picked the proper network for the address? You can also check settings if Brave blocks the plugin from accessing websites.

By network you mean the chain? Iā€™ve tried on several activities and proposals none work.
If by block you mean deactivate the shield, I did it but it didnā€™t change anything.
Iā€™m pretty sure I followed every step you made, Iā€™m confused why it doesnā€™t work

You can pick the network the address is allowed on. If you click the three dots beside the address, try selecting ā€œAllow use on any chainā€ and see if it helps.
Alternatively you can try using another browser. I never used brave so Iā€™m not familiar with it. Did you check online if anyone else has the same issue with it?

Thank you for replying promptly. I have tried ā€œAllow use on any chainā€ on both normal and derive accounts still doesnā€™t work.
Iā€™ve read that people managed to use it on Brave. But Iā€™ll use another browser and see if it could work.

Cool, let me know if it helps :slight_smile:

Hi. Sorry for the delay was out of town. It finally worked on another browser :slight_smile:
Thank you!

1 Like

Native smart contracts. Why would a developer use a separate parachain like Moonbeam/Moonriver or Shiden to run smart contracts when Substrate natively supports smart contracts? Does running smart contracts on the ownerā€™s parachain use less resources than outsourcing all that computation and consensus to a parachain built specifically for that purpose?

2 Likes

Substrate doesnā€™t support smart contracts by default. You can enable smart contracts by using an EVM pallet when you are creating a parachain.
Polkadot and Kusama on that hand donā€™t have this pallet included on their chains because they are not intended for this purpose. Therefore you should either use a blockchain that supports smart contract execution or create your own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went through a few telegrams groups with the same questions. As I understand it Substrate does have a pallet for deploying smart contracts. But in order to keep the relay chains of DOT and KSM light as possible they donā€™t support smart contracts but all the parachains have the ability to and its faster to conduct smart contracts on a parachain rather than delegating the task to a chain specifically meant for it. But it is possible to delegate the task, in which case performance my suffer but thats okay depending upon use case.

1 Like

Hi Alko, thanks for all the knowledge you are providing us! Just a question here, Iā€™d like to know how to create a validator account so to benefit from the staking same way you do basically ( Youā€™re not the only greedy here mate :rofl: :sweat_smile:)

Hey @Marco9, you can read how to run a validator here for example. I havenā€™t included this in the course because the majority of people will never run a validator and I wanted to make the course for the broader audience. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!

Hi all, Iā€™ve just completed the Polkadot 101 course and so Iā€™d like to take this opportunity to thank you @Alko89 for the amazing content youā€™ve provided us during the course.

At some point near the end you mention that there is a course here in the academy for Substrate 101 but I cnā€™t find it anywhere, has it been removed??

Thanks in advance
Looking forward to hear back from you!

2 Likes

Hey, the course hasnā€™t been done yet. Since we started working on Moralis there hasnā€™t been much time unfortunately. I do hope there will be in the future to finish up that course as well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool, Thanks.
Iā€™ll look forward to that!
In the mean time Iā€™ll calm my thirst with a bit of TA knowledge then :rofl:

2 Likes

Hello, nice lesson of polkadot, so the big difference from others is their Parachains and their security design? how many dots do you need to be a delegator? or there is no limit? i want to open a wallet but i need to get some DOTs before :grin: which validator you are in?

Well another would be their governance, and the substrate framework.

There is no limit :slight_smile:

My validator is GoOpen, but its not always in the active set since its part of the 1KV program and I didnā€™t got enough delegations yet to be self sufficient, you need a good 1.5 M DOT for that :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for answering man, concerning the certificate, could it be updated to my name?

What certificate do you mean?

oh i talked to Mauro already, when we finish the courses we got a little award :slight_smile:

2 Likes