The state of DeFi | DeFi Ecosystem - Discussion

I would like to invite you to explore the DeFi ecosystem by yourself. I did this as well and made a short DeFi Ecosystem Overview (I did this paper for ongoing personal research into a DeFi/CeFi Bridge I want to build). I would encourage all to do something similar and see what elements in the decentralized financial stack attract you the most.

A Token Curated Registries (TCR) with interesting WEB 3 projects has been created: https://everest.link/ contribute to the ecosystem by contributing to this TCR with your input.

It is hard to keep lists a TCR model is a popular crypto-economic primitive. Wanna learn more about TCR’s check: https://transform.eoi.digital/token-curated-registries/

Let’s take our forum discussion to the next level and let’s discuss interesting developments in the DeFi ecosystem.

13 Likes

Welcome back! Thanks @amadeobrands for your hard work in bringing us the next DeFi adventure! Just finished the first “what’s happening” lesson, will probably take me all weekend to get through the extra links. Just wanted to say glad to be back learning in DeFi and really looking forward to the rest of the course. :money_with_wings: :rocket:

6 Likes

I am really excited about the new course content, especially flash loans programming :slight_smile: And I have to say to you @amadeobrands your style of presentation in the video got much better. Keep up the good work. I think I will do such an overview at the end of this course, because a well researched overview take a lot of time and at this moment I can´t wait to go to the programming part :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@amadeobrands so happy to see you back on my screen! so much extra content and links galore! Opium exchange seems interesting, I’ve been chatting to their dev team on telegram and they seem very open to external contributions and listing derivatives on their platform is something I think I’d like to try and explore… would they be running their own smart contracts inside their own platform/protocol or would they be integrating/benefit from integrating with a system like opyn somewhere along the lego line to gain liquidity?

3 Likes

It is good to see you again with this awesome course @amadeobrands

1 Like

It is good to see you again with this awesome course @amadeobrands

2 Likes

@amadeobrands would you by any chance have a referral code for the Authereum platform?

2 Likes
Summary

Not sure if this is right forum topic but RE: DeFi digital finance stack - Discussion

[Blockchain-based Financial Markets]

I wanted to try implement a royalty payment processing protocol and use my links in music industry to gain adoption… something much similar to paperchain but more focused on publishing royalties instead of the master side… they are split 50/50… I met with someone from centrifuge and they put me in contact with dan from paperchain but haven’t heard back in a few weeks so I assume my ideas don’t fit paperchains model… like you were saying @amadeobrands we need a bridge in between centralised and decentralised and when I spoke to dan from paperchain he seemed more interested in artists directly benefiting whereas I had more of the approach of trying to sell the faster payments to big companies…(I do have connections with SONY etc, used to be in music industry) obviously I want artists to benefit but I think the bigger fight right now like you said is on boarding bigger corporate clients, the benefits to individuals everywhere will come after we push past this first hurdle and break into the traditional sector… Do you have any thoughts regarding me contacting centrifuge again? I don’t want to be pushy but I had a good chat with Jason there, and he handed me off to paperchain as he thought we would have a good meeting but I feel me and dan may have been on different pages of the same book…

1 Like
Summary

PS the centrifuge/paperchain saga was a result of DeFi101

1 Like

I do have question on using Zapper.fi from your video, I have noticed kinda strange amounts that were previously used showing up and disappearing from the app itself, more than likely I’m thinking cause my satellite connecting is being throttled due to being over-data for the month but have also noticed a change 5 digits in from my MetaMask wallet being capitalized and than in Zapper with the same letter just lower case, is that normal.? If it is i haven’t be paying attention very well and need to step up my game on my security knowledge. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

On the subject of a cefi to defi bridge identity, comes to mind. The Identity category on everest only has three entries. I can think of more. Civic comes to mind. However I am a big believer in privacy, and privacy is what lead me to crypto currency. It’s a hard balance. If I lend large sums of money to an entity then as the lender I have an interest in KYC, or maybe not. Perhaps the solution is already here. Simply stake another asset for fully collateralize the loan. IDK. Perhaps mix and match depending on the borrower’s needs?

2 Likes

A quick note on the “Black Thursday” video. While the USD value locked in DeFi is up about 40%, how much of that value is due solely to price appreciation of the underlying tokens relative to USD? The amount of ETH locked into DeFi has fallen about 10% over the same period, while BTC locked has increased 2.5x from 1.5k to about 4k BTC. A more accurate measure of adoption would track the amount of tokens locked instead. This is more tricky to visualize.

4 Likes

more accurate measure of adoption would track the amount of tokens locked instead.

Beg to differ @mayjer. From the Compound journey I believe the takeaway is we can’t rely on 1 or 2 “main” assets/tokens/coins (Hence the surge of MCD).

Tracking dollar value is a simple approach that speaks the same language as the traditional markets, hence easier to understand.

Another factor to consider here is all coins are different. There can only be 21 million BTC in whole existence, whereas ETH is uncapped (currently at 111M “coins”). A quantity of ETH (or BTC!) doesn’t mean much, without knowing how much each unit is worth.

In the DeFi space, liquidity (in dollar value) is important, because its a measure of the “power capacity” to change the way finance works in global markets.

1 Like

Interesting history but cant wait to see the benefits and how to create income for ourselves as a user of DEFI and then how create value, opportunities or apps in this space.

2 Likes

Here’s my homework guys!

I’m bringing this project from the Everest TCR: Betoken
It’s in the Investment category, which is described as:

“DeFi investment tools and services, including investment and wealth management, investment accounts, (…) and more for DeFi assets, apps and protocols.”

I think this could be a good project since it gives an avenue for asset management, which is a pattern proven in traditional finance, BUT with the DeFi touch - openness (for everyone) and scaling (many managers)!

4 Likes

@amadeobrands
Hi Amadeo,
This course is awesome! I’ve been taking your advice exploring the DeFi ecosystem. I’ve looked into several projects, but my head is spinning a bit. I completely understand Uniswap and liquidity pools, but I am not sure how to track my pool gains. Using Metamask wallet I can see my percentage of the pool, and I can see the transaction charts/graphs, but it would be nice to track my gains. I am consumed with learning how at the moment.

I also tried out Argent Wallet. While it is extremely easy to add liquidity to Uniswap and Aavve, I am actually turned off by it’s simplicity. I think it is great for the beginner, but for a software analyst like myself I need to see much, much more.

Additionally, I’ve been looking at Compound and Maker. I want to get into those areas, but I need to do a bit more research. The hard part is I want to get involved in everything, more so for the technology, but the wife would kill me, so I am taking it slow.

Again, love the course.
Dustin

2 Likes

Thanks man :smiley:
Happy to see you again hope we can work in DeFi together.

1 Like

Ok man keep up the good work :slight_smile:

It should be live now :smiley:

1 Like

This is a super complex question but once you understand you will gain a lot of knowledge about Computer science and Economics you can do it :muscle:

1 Like