What is an API? Reading Assignment

1) What is an API?
API means application programming interface. Is a application code library that one application (for example twitter) provides for other application, so that those other application can interact with the application (eg twitter).

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is a library that defines interactions with the database. For example, adding an item to a list etc. so what i understand is, you can chose function from this librabry to use for the API for you backend to frontend communication from this library.

Twitter API is a code library provided by twitters and it defines with wich commands you can do different things on twitter. So here the api provides commands so that your application (or any application) can interact with twitter.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
How i understand it, in the library you get a simple code “add (e E)” to add an item from the frontend to the backend. If you had to code it from scrach you would have to code a lot of lines. But with the API you can take a short cut.
Lets say I pay with a card at a shop: first, i insert my card, the system than checks if this card is approved. The backend will ask to identify myself, the display shows enter pin. Hardware cardreade interface, sents the pin to the backend, which checks if the pin is correct. If the pin is correct the hardware transaction terminal shows “transaction confirmed”. I, as a customer just need to enter the pin, in the back there are various actions taking place (also checking if i have sufficient amount of money on my account). So exactly as i just enter the pin and confirm and a lot of actions are done in the background, i can just use an API command and a lot of actions happen in the background without me seeing it.

What is an API?

The Application Programming Interface is a bridge between extremely complex interactions and the end-user. It simplifies the complexities by applying instructions as to how the interactions are to operate behind the scenes.

In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?

The main difference is that Twitter’s is web-based.

The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

I’ve built my BTC miner from scratch- focusing on adding hashing power as I can afford to buy the equipment, and, on keeping electricity consumption extremely low. I work on it every day. Perhaps another example would be that at work we deliver packages of varied quantities from varied delivery services. We have regular times we receive deliveries. We efficiently deliver them correctly and on time.

Ivan,

My picture isn’t associated with my profile because I don’t know how to make it appear. I added my LinkedIn photo to my google plus account but still only see “K”

1) What is an API? Application programming interface. It’s a set of subroutine definitions,communication protocols between multiple applications

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? Twitter API is Web based and the Java API is a library of software components

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
An abstraction would be that when the clothes in the washer have completed the selected cycle the washer would switch to dryer mode to complete the wash/dry process and the iron and ironing board would extract, fold, iron and sort the laundry by items and owner.

1) What is an API?
Application programming interface - ‘a language’ to talk to the back end / server
2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
The Java API is called locally / internally while the Twitter API is called over the internet / is web-based.
When arrive at the gym and swipeMyMembershipCard() I can walk through the barrier instantly. While in the background at that moment there was a database lookup to see if I am a member, that I have paid, the notification shown for the receptionist that I have a towel option enabled and some daily points were sent to the gym app. It would be a bit time consuming to do all these steps manually for all the visitors or me having to do a seperate action for each.

1. What is an API?
    In simple words, an API is a language which computer applications use to communicate with each other.

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    Java API are used to interact with Java components whereas Twitter API is web based interaction with twitter database.

3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    Left swipe in iphone to open a camera rather than unlocking it-- go to menu—select camera. Left swipe is abstraction.

1. App.Programming Interface are coded sets of rules for how software(s) interact (e.g. database - what data and iphone app - how). They are packaged in reusable containers for many apps to use them. They achieve repeated abstraction and simplification between frontend and backend, in the overall application, lowering complexity and extending systems use for developers and app-users alike.

2. Main difference between Java API and Twitter API (REST type) is method of fetching data to the application.
    Java api is part of a kit/on-prem and does simple list-of-data operations for you, providing answer to the app.
    REST api like Twitter api are web-based, package data for you and the app has to fetch it and do the operation itself (or on some server-hosted service, midlayer)

3. Abstraction: ordering sushi california tempura roll via a general food delivery app, that physically delivers and sources from different restaurants, and they from different sources and processes. Both, physical and virtual abstraction.

1. What is an API?
    a way to give or use others hiden and complex work (that alternative to it would need to redo the weel).

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? One is local the other is remote.

3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    ‘Doing’ coffe these modern days you just click a button which type of cofee black/white/sugerless/extra you want to drink.

1) What is an API?
Application programming interface. It is a method of packaging up processes and components to make workflow more efficient.

Java API is local on the user’s machine. Twitter is web-based.

Using my work badge to clock in would be abstraction - the time I spend automatically calculates and data is sent to a payroll department where my check is prepared and deposited directly to my bank, all with me only having to swipe twice a day.

Hi guys, nice to know all of you here.

I give it a shot to explain in my own words.

1/ What is an API?
An API is basically a tool for programmers to build the communication between backend and frontend or to build communication between different apps, or to interact with data from a web app

1. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    The difference between Java API and Twitter API lies in the fact that Java API is a programming tool and it is included in the Java. The Java API is designed to work with List while programming.

The Twitter API, on the other hand, is the a web-based tool to request data from Twitter and return data in the form of JSON format.

1. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life?
    Abstraction is something to simplify complex process to enhance UX, it provides the user the convenience and readiness whenever the user wants to use it. An example is the macro function in excel which enables user to automatically fill out thousands of forms.

1) What is an API?
API means application program interface, which is use to interact between different apps or servers. It commonly treat as a library for a particular application/servers that able to help to do calculation and/or retrieval of information.

The main differences between the two lies in JAVA API comes out of the box whenever someone install JDK and developed in JAVA. Whereas for Twitter API, it generally is to retrieval of information from another application.

Abstraction is to simplify complex process to enhance user experience, it provides user convenience and simplicity to use. An example is Google Pay, it allows user to pay through different website without the hassle of retyping your credit card details again and again.

1. an API is a specification of possible interactions with a software component
  2. The Twitter API is callable over the internet. The Java API is more a local call to a series of functions in the Java machine locally.
  3. As you drive your car, the precise details of how the car dashboard gets its information is hidden from you - but you see the end result. your speed, temperature, GPS location etc. You are abstracted from having to know the ‘under-the-bonnet’ stuff.

Answeres within the questions.

1. What is an API? An Application Programming Interface is is a specification of possible interactions with a software component in order to simplify the use of application by other components or programs.

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? Java API is a library available to anyone who has installed the Java Development Kit. Twitter API is a web-based API and it’s accessed by making HTTP requests to services that Twitter hosts.

3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. The controls of the washing machine are an abstraction layer that allows me to make the washing machine perform specific and complex operations to clean the clothes

1. What is an API?
    ===================
    An API is a specification of what information the actual software component have or need to interact with you.

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    a.) A list of all classes that are part of the Java development kit (JDK). It includes all Java packages, classes,
    and interfaces, along with their methods, fields, and constructors. Similar to a user interface, which
    facilitates interaction between humans and computers.
    These prewritten classes provide a tremendous amount of functionality to a programmer.

b.) Web-based API that allows developers to programmatically interact with Twitter data,
example of web-base API include REST= Representational State Transfer, SOAP,JSON etc

1. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    Daily Abstract Activities:
    Open my eyes and blink twice; the light comes up and say halleluya, my maid brings me a cup of coffee.
    tap my phone, Uber Car is ready to take me to work.
  1. API: an API is an application programming interface. It enables various applications to connect and interacts with each other.

2. T.witter API is web based, while Java API is offline based.

3. I need t read more about i

1) What is an API?
Application Programming Interface: a means for the developer to communicate with an application through an interface or a library of pre-programmed functions or pieces of code to be re-used by a programmer

JAVA api provides pre-programmed (reuseable) pieces of code that programmers can use by calling them through the API. Programmers don’t have to program those functions themselves what can speedup the programming. Twitter API delivers an interface to the twitter application by providing functions to perform on the twitter application (for example sending reminders to all your followers)

an example is watching a movie though netflix, you start an app and choose a movie and watch it. You don’t have to search where a movie would be available / you don’t have to move yourself to a movie theatre / you don’t have to pay for a movie separately / you can do it with a remote control from your sofa / you also don’t have to know what tool you need to decode a video file and audio in the video and how subtitles can be integrated etc, the app does it all for you

Here’s my answers to the quiz.
One API is an application programming interface. It’s a specification of possible interactions with software components. They basically help developers save time with these pre-built codes.

Two. Java APA is a library of software components available with a kit and rest API involves sending data to requesting app. It is slower but more flexible for application owner because they can do whatever they want with the data.
3 The abstraction that I have used is wix.com to build a website. They have templates that are basically big abstraction that allows you to build a website without any coding.

1. What is an API?

Application programming interface, complex code put in an API to be reused in a simple way.

1. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?

Java API has a library of software components if you have the java development kit, this way programmers don’t have to code from scratch.

Twitter API is web based JSON API, so you would need to request the twitter host to access the API

1. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

API are being used everywhere and abstraction is used to create a user friendly way to use this complexity in a convenient and much easier way like ordering an uber you only have to click a button while at the backend the process of the driver locating your location knowing where your going and calculating the journeys price.

1. API - application programming interface, is a specification of possible interactions with a software component.
  2. Java API is a library of software components available to anyone who has installed the Java Development Kit. The Twitter API is a web-based JSON API that allows developers to programmatically interact with Twitter data
  3. when I turn on the computer, there are many operations while the windows is starting. the only thing I need to do is push the button and I dont need to know all the operations behind.

1) What is an API?
API stands for application programming interface. It is the specification of possible interactions with a software component.
The Java API is essentially a library within Java that the developer can use when writing their program. It is built into the Java SDK. The Twitter API is a web based API which returns responses using JSON. Twitter uses a REST API which delivers the data to the program and lets the program determine how to use the data rather than processing the data for the program.
An abstraction of my daily life are the access control systems at my work. When I need to walk through a door, I scan my badge and the access control system checks the database, to see if the badge ID numbers is allowed to access the door at the time that I am scanning my badge. If I am allowed access the door unlocks and allows me to enter, if I am not in the list of allowed users, the door does not open. This abstracts the manual verification of ID, permission levels, and checking for the allowable time from the user.