What's behind the Technology

Ok guys, here’s few of my thoughts. The term Block-Chain came into our lives almost a decade ago. Since then, a lot of people loved it, criticised it, hated it, were curious and some of us made new friends. Some more lucky and smarter of us made money too :slight_smile:

Big organisations, you know, the ones who care about us, were TELLING us, and some of them still do, to keep away from satan’s technology and only mafia and dodgy people would trade in BTC and other currencies based on blockchain.

Late 2017, and we see an upcoming market of a few million dollars, to reach over 200bn dollars!! and still keep going, more people are willing to invest their saving and their precious time to learn about it, and these big organisations which trully and deeply care about us, are joining the market with their own projects.

JP Morgan developed Quorum, a ledger based on the ethereum network and provides smart contracts

Shell, BP they announced their intentions to do a blockchain application

Allianz, they are developing their own blockchain for insurance

The question i would like to put on here is very simple, and very difficult at the same time.

Why? Why are they going online? Why blockchain for an insurance? What are the advantages? How are they going to use the smart contract technology on their favour??

And most importantly, what are we missing? Because we are clearly missing something that they know.

I would like to read our community answers here, and let’s have some good ideas

1 Like

I guess the main reason they are interested in the blockchain and smart contracts is that it will be much cheaper for them (and hopefully for us too :grinning:) because they cut out the middle man.

They don’t want to miss the train. I guess they are getting the fact that you can’t simply take down this technology. pandorras box has been opened and I guess they try to safe their power. Cause if the middle man is out, banks are out, maybe even governments. I would look at what the technology behind these new coins is and if it is centrailized and if yes, who has the main power. Cause they could create their own coins and tay it or monopolize the mining or build their own storehouses that run all the nodes.

Let me try to address this one (sorry this will be lengthy):

Example 1: Health insurance:
Imagine that you convert the hospitals onto a blockchain in which you store all of the patients data, I.e. you have an undisputable history of when the patients received treatment, what kind of illness was diagnosed, who diagnosed, who signed off on treatment, what treatment was given, why, how and when. Obviously this would be in a permission based blockchain to ensure confidentiality and privacy of patient data as well as safeguard patient / doctor confidentiality and there would be smart contracts in place to regulate who can gain access to what information, and under which permissions access would be granted or denied.

This could serve as a blockchain that can be shared across hospitals, across borders and across language barriers so that if the patient is in a different country / hospital they would have the possibility to look at the patient’s history, understand his allergies, ongoing medication, etc. etc.

How would this benefit insurance companies? They could equally get access to this blockchain (with limitations obviously) and decide on the correct insurance plan and insurance premium for this patient. Have a pre-existing condition? No problem it is there, in the blockchain, so the insurance company knows this and can tailor your health insurance accordingly.

People with no pre-existing conditions would benefit from lower premiums as a result while those with pre-existing conditions could still be fully insured as there is proof of clear treatment, follow up and resolution, all in that single blockchain. Those cheating the system by lying to their insurance company would lose out to a degree (I know we all do it) but the potential benefits of such a blockchain outway the disadvantages, provided you create the right, secure, safe and confidential environment through various smart contracts.

You could agree on statutes of limitations for pre-existing conditions and yes, insurance companies could easily reduce a vast amount of paperwork at the same time by adding billing and settlement through the same blockchain. This would resolve massive amounts of treatment settlement disputes, reduce vast amount of time and money spend on credit and collection for both parties (hospitals only receive a fraction of what they’re actually due from insurance companies).

You could add in pre-approval for services and treatment, etc.

Additionally they can get rid of a lot of current paperwork around applications, etc.

There’s even more benefits for the hospital to this but that’s outside the realm of the question.

Example 2: Car insurance
Imagine that your driving behaviour is recorded on a blockchain, I.e. each time you get a ticket or accident, it is recorded. Each time you change cars it is recorded, how often you service the vehicle, etc.

Similar to the hospital, the insurance company could create a completely customised and personalised car insurance for you, catering to your needs and financial means; as they would have clear visibility on the risk factors of insuring you.

In many countries now, people below a certain age, get slapped with a high premium, simply because their age groups are reckless drivers. A blockchain could help those prove their good (or bad) driving behaviour to the insurance company and get adjusted premiums as a result; which in turn could be loaded into the blockchain for future use.

So yep, I can see a vast amount of benefits for this for insurance companies and a wide range of other industries.

Personally, I doubt insurance companies are looking at blockchain with the intention of creating crypto currencies (or even a single currency).

Having said that, what could be an interesting idea for them is to start tokenising their services for people that are otherwise uninsurable for example, so that they can buy just the tokens (at a premium) for the services they need. Similarly this could create a whole “insurance-on-demand” structure where you assemble your own insurance package based on the tokens you purchase (managed by smart contracts) with annual renewal options, etc.

hm… sounds legit. But then what would they do with the tokens? Because you are right, they could just use another cryptocurrency. Would be cool if they had tokens for specific categories of treatments which you can purchase (it is like payming health insucrance today, but instead you get some pieces of tokens). in case you don’t need them, you can sell them back to the insurance company. So there would be some kind of a token market and the tokens are specific services individuals can purchase, depending on their needs.

But the scary thing is, in case everything gets stored on the blockchain, is that everything you ever did might be for ever on it. in case you did some stupid things in your early years, it might still affect the services you get (the car driving example you were talking about). Plus this would be an insane amount of data right?

Very true but you could manage this through smart contracts and built in a statute of limitations, so that old offences get locked away after a certain amount of time has lapsed and don’t affect your future contracts, very similar to how the legal system works but then in an automated fashion. You could tie this into legal requirements country by country.

That way you could limit the data visible to 3rd parties / insurance companies and only provide them with a 5 year or 10 year view, whereas government entities might need to see more.

hmmm yeah thats true. it still is kind of scary though, but I could see different companies offering different “sets” (or however we call this in english) of how much back in the past your data has to be visible etc. But I think for storage in general, patient’s treatments etc, it might be really helpful. I jst hope it makes society more free than even even more overlooked. but if this would make everything more trustworthy, maybe that allows a market do develop itself where there is even a company for people who had several car crashes. so everybody can choose what they desire…