Assignment - Fintech and the UNs Sustainability Development Goals

The fintech that I propose will help those who wish to do better financially or come out of the poverty rut yet helpless because of they are under privileged or do not have the knowledge, courage to do so.

- Goal 4 - sharing financial education especially on changing the mindset
- Goal 10 - reducing inequality by giving everyone a same opportunity 
             to learn and invest in order to succeed financially
- Goal 11 = building a community with the same goal to succeed and
              teaching others to do the same
1 Like

The “universal application interface” (“OneAccount”) supports several United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:

Goal 1 – No Poverty: By improving user’s ability to analyze their financial data, they will be better able to plan their finances, monitor and project their financial progress, and compare themselves to peers. This facilitates the ability of users to avoid wasteful financial habits and to better save and invest. Financial education provided to users by financial institutions as well as community forums also serves this goal.

Goal 3 – Good Health and Well-Being: Better money management facilitated by the application will contribute to better psychological well-being of users.

Goal 10 – Reduced Inequalities: The application facilitates better financial management, saving and investing for all users, including those with less financial resources; the educational aspects provided directly by financial institutions as well as community forums also provides an opportunity for those less well resourced to discover ways to improve their situation.

1 Like
  1. 7- Affordable and clean energy. That’s the main thing we working .
  2. 9- industry, innovation and infrastructure- green energy production.
  3. 13- climate action- green energy production .
1 Like
  1. QUALITY EDUCATION: allowing homeowners to understand their equity position and how much of that is usable. then provide ideas and a process in order to access it to further invest,

2. SUSTAINABLE CITIES: our app also will provide discounted funding for renovations to someones home (and discounted insurance on that home) if they upgrade their home to be more climate resilient

3. AFFORDABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY: part of the home upgrades above are changing their energy source and getting access to govt rebates (such as solar power rebates for installation)

1 Like

1- No poverty: by providing fair and equitable opportunities to those less fortunate in the way of work training to develop specialized skills, or allow for higher education opportunities to expand their horizons beyond a local area and make a difference in the world. They can become empowered to make positive change in their lives, communities, and the world.

2- No hunger- Providing and teaching local food growth for local sustainability. Also, develop and providing safe and secure methods of food delivery that bypasses corrupt governments, as this is generally the chocking point of food delivery in impoverished countries. There is enough and to spare in this world, if not for corruption that seeks to overthrow the worlds governments and freedom. Poverty and hunger are a way to subject people into submission, so I guess we should start at the top and clean house.

3- Good health and well-being- Through education and proper nutrition, teach ways of personal health standards. From a delivery standpoint of health care, raise and dedicate financial resources to allow anyone with heart and soul to travel to underdeveloped communities and donate time and resources to the less fortunate. A little goes and long way, and it provides “HOPE” to those in such desperate need.

All of these could be accomplished if there was more LOVE in the world. I know: been there, seen it, done it… it’s life changing!

I see my idea directly impact these UN SDGs:

1. Responsible consumption and production - as it focuses in trying to make customers develop a mindset where they purchase what they need & instead of buying too many things to save & invest instead.
  2. Quality education - as it’s goal is to give customers a basic understanding & later advanced knowledge on investing.
  3. Good health and well being - as customers can grow their savings with step by step saving & investing this will have a good inpact on their future life (finacial independence so it affects No Poverty & Reduce Inequalities SDGs)
  4. Climate action - as the fintech use case encourages customers to save an amount on their every transaction they made, they compound & don’t have to worry or consume energy for new transactions.

goal #1: Decent work & Sustainable growth

An NFT platform that allows individual artists to profit from their own artwork without any middle man would durastically help struggling artists and artists who are heavily being taken advantaged by companies within the comic, art, and design industry in Japan.

United Nations Sustainable development goal #2: Reduced Inequalities

Artists who struggle to make a decent living to pay rent and food will finally be able to sustain themselves regardless of the rejections they face from their “unusual” and “creative” artwork since only certain artists are given opportunities for creating specific types of art that caters to the expectations of the middle man in Japan. By removing the middle man, artists can work without unnecessary scrutiny and belittlement.

United Nations Sustainable development goal #3: Gender Equality
As some of you might be aware, Japan is one of the top countries in the world with gender equality issues. Men is always paid more than women at most Japanese companies and women are judged based on their resume photo instead of their resume content. This new platform will allow female artists to receive funds directly from their fans as well as make a profit for themselves without concerns of any gender inequality since anybody around the world can purchase their art for what it is instead of the artist’s gender.

I think many goals go hand in hand. The goals concerning poverty and corruption can be solved via decentralized blockchain networks which would take control away from monopolies and give it to individuals.

Goal 9 Indrustry, Innovation and Infraestructure: providing lending to small and medium business will help to function during times of industry disruption for example during Covid on certain industries that had to stop their activity during lockdowns.
Goal 10 Reduce Inequalities, providing financing to small and medium companies that may not have the access to credit from the tradicional banking industry due to size or under risk criteria.
Goal 17 Partnership for the goals, by collaborating with tradicional banks that are not able to provide lending to certains companies, but we as a Fintech can provide liquidity for example advancing payment or discounting bills. Having a referral program from traditional banks.

The SGD’s I’d be most interested in addressing is:

1. Reduced Inequalities
    Democratizing access to ownership and influence over what is popular and what is not is important. If the entities with the money bags have ubiquitous influence over which artists are successful, and who’s not - it kills the art and the people who get the short end of the stick are artists who dare to be different.
    By providing a place for artists to connect with fans, and have fans fund artists directly (and have incentives to do so), you remove the clutter, corruption and scalping that exists in the music industry today.

2. Decent Work and Economic Growth
    I think meritocracy works well - particularly in sustainable systems. If you provide incentives for people to do good work, and reward them accordingly - the ecosystem will flourish.
    Being able to allow people to invest and speculate against what they consider ‘good work’, you push the incentive for people to do better.
    And when you have a system where good work is being rewarded, people are influenced to do good work. The feedback loop provides greater economic growth and productivity over long term horizons.

3. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
    This is all within one industry. If you can bring an industry to a new paradigm, other industries and businesses can take note and draw influence from the good (and possibly bad) of the new paradigm in this industry.

Thanks for the overview on the SDGs and the potential in creating a fintech connected to these goals. I indeed think that this is a huge playground where a lot of fintechs will grow. I’ll keep my idea for myself for the moment ;-). Thanks a lot for the great learnings and good luck everyone!!!

I challenged myself to use unconventional goals for a FinTech company. So let’s try:

• Life Below Water
  • Sustainable Cities and Communities
  • Decent Work and Economic Growth.

My concept is a “RealSea”. Real estate…but wetter.
Services provided:

• Parcel out the sea floor.
  • Sell occupation, fishing, mining, and energy rights separately.
  • Track all ownership on an internationally neutral chain like Ethereum.
  • Create a DAO and “sea-drop” 1 token equally to every citizen on the planet with a cell phone.
  • Governance tokens are used in voting on area zoning and open-source free-to-use undersea construction technology research to benefit all participants.

So why does this meet UNSDG’s?

• Life underwater. People demonstrably don’t care about places they don’t live. We need to develop human habitation in under or over-water locations. Human habitation will provide reef surfaces and geometry, concern and stewardship of water quality, and even plastic/garbage collection services to currently uninhabited tracts of ocean.
  • Decent Work and Economic Growth. Developing under-water habitation, agriculture, and industry will require an enormous amount of research and industrial investment. While menial labor will remain most jobs at sea will require professional-level skills. The economy is what it is today occupying a fraction of land. Expanding civilization to occupy water as well will inevitably grow both civilization and the global economy.
  • Sustainable Cities and Communities. Fish are designed to live in water they pee in. People…aren’t. Underwater habitation and industry will necessarily be required to develop new sanitation and waste management technologies. Furthermore wave and ocean current offer readily available energy whereas burning fossil fuels underwater can be…problematic. Therefore any underwater community would be sustainable out of efficiency and necessary safety concerns.

1 Like

Good Health & Wellbeing
Quality Education
Responsible Consumption & Production
Life below Water

Not being able to go into detail on the subject of the theme for the project the above 3 would be promoted, supported or provided in delivery.

Affordable and clean energy
Industry Innovation and infrastructure
Sustainable cities and communities

I believe these are the closest goals that could be served by my fintech. The first on the list is the closest being the affordable and clean energy, By monetising the green energy production with blockchain and immediate payment to producers, connecting the credits to the emitters directly without mediators the transformation from current combustion of fossil fuels to electrification becomes more practical and efficient.

The second on the list pertains to industry, innovation and infrastructure. The fintech can help in that regard since the provision of green energy to those who need it requires increased spending based on current norms, with the app everyone can contribute within their own circle and the aggregate of that adds up.

The sustainable cities and communities are served by the successful application of this service whereby the reduction of carbon emissions is easily accessible for both small communities in their respective vicinities and large emitters as well.

Well I am developing my fintech but at the moment my idea is not to be shared on the forum, since we are in developing phase.
So, for the matter of this homework I will pick another subject. Responsible consumption and production.
We might think at a tracking system that puts in relation producers and consumers that perform particularly well in reducing their impact on World resources, link that system to the Eu body responsible for funding projects on renewable energy and get some sort of privileges when it comes to pay income taxes.

1 Like

All the Sustainability, Inclusion, Diversity & Equity lingo sounds great in theory, but when you look at who is trying to implement it world-wide, the trust in this plan goes out the window… That’s all i’ll say on that.

honestly the idea of gamifying certain thing for fintech to use would highlight a broadened channel of people at least half of the world knows and is playing games

1 Like

we need a fintech that reduce the insurance cost; i am not sure why is so expensive to get a healtchcare plan for almost 300usd/mo ( at least in the USA)
i would suggest to have a fintech ; with the idea of not increasing the Profit margin but reducing cost of operation, reduce middleman charges and reduce Consumer cost for expensive treatments and drugs
https://spdload.com/blog/fintech-in-healthcare/

The SDGs are a scam.

That sounds like an interesting assignment! Connecting fintech initiatives with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is a great way to emphasize the positive impact technology can have on global challenges.

For my fintech use case, let’s consider SDG 1 (No Poverty), SDG 5 (Gender Equality), and SDG 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth). I envision a microfinance platform designed to empower women entrepreneurs in underserved communities, providing them with access to financial resources, mentorship, and opportunities to grow their businesses. This aligns with the goals of poverty eradication, gender equality, and promoting sustainable economic growth.

On a related note, I recently came across this insightful article: https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-to-create-a-financial-app/. It discusses key considerations in developing financial apps, which might offer additional perspectives for your assignment.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your assignment!