Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies

Thank you Ziomanzo nice to know you are here to support the newbies answering our questions.

2 Likes

So far this is filling in the details about the blockchain technology I was looking to better understand. Ivan I’m really enjoying the format you’ve put together. Thank you.

1 Like

Enjoying the coarse so far, looking forward to digging deeper into the subject.

1 Like

Interesting to study this good updated course material again from the beginning!

1 Like

Yeah, for retention and recall I will write something 3 times for re-enforced learning. However, I will definitely use the blue and green ink pens for my notes. I am the point where I feel I need to expand my receptive learning tools. I felt constrained for a half-second. Thanks @marsrvr

1 Like

Hi, well, if I do have questions, i’ll be back!

1 Like

Hi Ivan, you say bitcoin has the longest blockchain, but I thought like for instance DGB has a much longer chain, It produces a block every 30 seconds since 2014, or not?

I don’t think that ivan said that bitcoin has the longest Chain. I think you misinterpreted it

Something I want to understand better also. We must be able to condense a blockchain to down load to a wallet so that it will not take days to down load.
I just know that depending on the chain it can be fairly quick or very long. But tech seems to be keeping up with that issue.

only full nodes download the whole blockchain. You can also set bitcoind in prune-mode.
prune= Reduce storage requirements by enabling pruning (deleting) of old blocks. This allows the pruneblockchain RPC to be called to delete specific blocks, and enables automatic pruning of old blocks if a target size in MiB is provided

It reminds me of Khan Academy!!! The math has a map drawn out. Things that are related are together in groups. The simple and original things are first. Then they web out into more complex mathematics. I like this setup a lot. This academy reminds me of that one. There are very good videos teaching, written teaching, quizzes and tests. There are elementary school kids that have learned all mathematics up to Calculus using these courses. If you haven’t checked it out before I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

3 Likes

In Norway most of the blockchain projects (not cryptocurrencies) are being built on Ethereum (private), HyperLedger Fabric / Sawtooth, IOTA and Stellar.

Where do you live and what are public and private entities building blockchain applications on?

1 Like

I’m loving the course so far, I have so much to learn here, everybody is so smart compared to me lol.

I sort of wondered if i could skip Blockchain 101. I’ve been learning everyday so I might not have needed it. But i’m glad I did because it is all quite concise and will help down the road.

1 Like

I have understood few points about Blockchain so far. However I have no idea on cryptocurrency yet. Hopefully, I will get to know as I progress the course. It would be appreciable if someone can briefly explain to me what are cryptocurrencies and bitcoins.

Cryptocurrencies are an internet-based medium of exchange which uses cryptographical functions to conduct financial transactions. Cryptocurrencies leverage blockchain technology to gain decentralization, transparency, and immutability.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

Just completed the Blockchain 101 first module (set of tuts) in one sitting, and only have a slight headache so am very pleased with myself lol! I think to get a firm grasp on what Blockchain truely is I will look forward to getting into the developement, as theory is great, but you cant beat the practical side as well to really help make sense of it all and to join the dots!

The teaching structure in the academy is flawless so far - well done team!

3 Likes

Hi Ivan and fellow toshitimers,

I am struggling with a thought which I hope you can help me with.

I understand that consensus is the mechanism which helps defining what will be the “truth” on the blockchain. However, in the example of the yogurt value chain (cows, milk, etc.), if several companies/vendors/associates jointly agree to lie about certain information in the supply chain, since they are the only ones who produce this data, they are the ones who represent the consensus and thus a “lie” is introduced in the ledger “truth”. Correct?
If this is correct and since the ledger is immutable, is there no mechanism to remove this “lie” from the ledger if the lie is discovered later on (several years later)?

I would appreciate your clarifications/comments

The issue I have with this is that there are powerful conglomerates, politicians which could corrupt the data before it is entered in the blockchain… How does the blockchain address/solve this issue of correcting the ledger once a lie/error is detected in the future?

10 Likes

good observation, if you enter bad data in the start of the supply chain, it’s a big issue. But it’s still better than without blockchain, because today in normal databases, you can lie everywhere. In supply chain, this gets minimized. With using qr codes and or NFC technology in each step on the supply chain, you can track everything. And you could add a function where you can mark the particular goods in the supply chain as invalid, wich will be transparent and immutable that it is false data. Each step in the supply chain could validate if it’s the truth (correct information)

5 Likes