Career path in this industry? Strong math skills required?

So i would like to think of myself as pretty smart no genius, and a relatively quick learner. My interest is to become a developer of some-sort in this space and either do freelance work or work for a company. Not exactly sure where I would fit in as of yet. I am currently on the Bitcoin basics section of the course and i believe it was the last section that had me second guessing if i have what it takes. Which leads me to my question.

Let me first say that math has never been my strong point. There was a small section of the training so far that had some simple equations to figure out and one of them threw me though a loop. Basically my question is how efficient do i really need to be in math in order to become efficient at coding for Ethereum smart contracts or other platforms like EOS, etc. I ask not because i am not willing to improve my math skills but, i ask so that i know what to expect in this journey.

Anyone else not so great at math have success as a developer in the crypto space?

Hi there, are you good at languages and logic?

I would highly recommend this article for you either way as it focuses on the answer to your question:

I am personally not too bad at algebra (which is useful for formulas) but definitely not a maths genius. I’m actually better at languages and after watching Ivan’s Webinar on the 12 week Bootcamp (for learning how to program) - as well as reading this article - I decided to enrol.

Hopefully, it is useful.

3 Likes

Im no linguist, But i am good at logic and problem solving. I am currently an automotive technician by profession. I will check out that article. Much appreciated.

1 Like

In general, for coding you only need basic math. You don’t need to be able to compute elliptic curve transformations or anything like that (and when you do there are libraries you just call and they do all of that for you and spit out the answer). Math and computer science go hand in hand, but unless you get into data science (stats, AI, machine learning), scientific research applications, or graphics (matrix algebra) then arithmetic and basic formulas will be good enough most of the time.

Coding is mostly logic, abstract reasoning, and problem solving.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input. I am pretty good with problem solving and logic. This helps.

@jackswango - you may find this interesting? :thinking:

hey how is the bootcamp? I am thinking about doing it and would love some thoughts!