Lightning Network Details - Discussion

Not sure what you mean. Invalid txs are not stored anywhere, they just get dropped. The funds are stored in a multisig address on chain so both nodes must sign them to close the channel.

When Bob creates and signs the Commitment TX, how does Alice know that Bob’s signature is valid? If Bob adds a “fake” signature, Alice won’t be able to use it to close the channel.

Hello Filip ! Thank for this course ! I would love to create personalise application for some business in my own town. I want to use Lightning network what are your advise to create this application and what type of ressources I need. Thank you @filip

Did you do the course?

I have a question about the Fraudulent close. Filip mentions that it is rare, because the fraudulent party risks losing all the funds. However, in a situation where the final balance of one of the participants is 0, there is not really a risk of losing funds by that participant if they attempt a fraudulent close, correct? (There is a risk of losing reputation of course).

@Alko89 I have a question about the Fraudulent close. Filip mentions that it is rare, because the fraudulent party risks losing all the funds. However, in a situation where the final balance of one of the participants is 0, there is not really a risk of losing funds by that participant if they attempt a fraudulent close, correct? (There is a risk of losing reputation of course).

Yes, but in that case the funds would just go to the second party either way. :slight_smile:

Thanks - how does that work?

What do you mean? If the one triggering the fraudalent close would not have any funds then it doesn’t matter if the multisig tx on the first layer is signed properly or using a breach remedy tx.

Hi Lightning students,

Andreas Antonopoulos’ book is highly recommended to follow up on this hairy topic :nerd_face: , in particular the chapter on payment channels. It shows the negotiation flow between nodes to establish the channel, as well as details about commitment transactions and how revocation works.

It is available here for free:

https://github.com/lnbook/lnbook/blob/develop/07_payment_channels.asciidoc

Good luck,
Matt

2 Likes