Metropolis fork

Hey guys,

I’ve been reading alot about the next ethereum fork and how it will be split in two parts and i was wondering what’s your opinion and toughts on the subject.

P.S: I’m not completely educated on the technical aspects of it so if anyone could throw some light in what this fork will specifically change i would greatly appreciate it :grin:

P.S.S: Please let me know if this should be posted on the technology category since i’m a little new to this community.

1 Like

The same line of question. After shifting to POS from POW, what will happen to Ether mining? As far as I understand, this shift will happen gradually. But how long it will take to completely transition to POS?

2 Likes

PoS is basically virtual mining. In PoW the miner who has invested in the best hardware wins. In PoS the miner who has staken the most coins wins. Meaning that mining will be done by staking coins and not wasting electricity solving unnecessary puzzles. Will this mean that the richer will get richer because they can stake more coins and therefore win more blocks in this virtual PoS mining? Probably, but that is also how PoW works, the more money you have to invest into your hardware the more coins you mine.

The Ethereum team haven’t been super clear on the exact details about Metropolis and how the switch from PoW to PoW is going to look like. There is an ice-age time bomb in place though that will force people to switch from the current Ethereum blockchain. Learn more about the ice age:

Hope this at least partially answers your question :slight_smile: @Caiof @Takuya

3 Likes

It helped a lot, thanks!!!

1 Like

Hi Ivan, will ETH split like BTC and BCC?

1 Like

Theoretically we might see ETHPoW and ETHPoS as I discuss in the Ice Age video if some faction within Ethereum doesn’t accept PoS :slight_smile:

1 Like

Metropolis is not going to contain the transition between PoW to PoS. In that sense, perhaps it might be relevant to split this into another thread where we can have better discussion about PoW -> PoS :stuck_out_tongue:

For what its worth, I think the transition from PoW to a hybrid PoS/PoW chain will help eliminate the chances of a split into 2 chains.

Metropolis is really going to be split into 2 parts now - Byzantium and Constantinople. Both contain quite a few upgrades but nothing too major nor contentious. Because of that, it is unlikely that there will be a chain split per se. The hard fork will happen and the older chain will simply die off since no one will be using it.

Right now, the only change that has invited debate seems to be the one where there is a reduced block reward but reduced difficulty as well. However, even that is not too contentious and doesn’t seem like anyone will want to stay on the old fork.

3 Likes

Found this awsome video … he is looking sharp :slight_smile:
Vitalik dives a bit into Metropolis and what comes next.

2 Likes