Open Source Introduction

Welcome to the discussion about this lecture. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

1 Like

Do you think an open-source Blockchain startup can be financially successful in this market and current climate? (Jan. 2019)

Yes i very much enjoyed the section on Open Source and its trending pattern. I think it will only get stronger and bigger as decentralisation increases combined with the progression of “surveillance state” like approach of most governments.

1 Like

Hello ProfessorHODL,
I’ve just completed this section on open source, and I found it fascinating.
Slightly spooky that Microsoft was trying to buy github at point of publishing.

1 Like

Hello Ivan, this is a very interesting lecture about open source, and the growing surveillance culture - especially in these really unusual times with track and trace systems being introduced - wow what a great excuse to close down borders, restrict travel, inoculate and track and trace! - especially when you think about social credit scoring. I’m not sure about Microsoft buying github - is that what we want? Very interesting what you say about closed source operating systems and software in phones, laptops, etc. I have often wondered about this. I’m not even on Facebook! LOL

3 Likes

Hello CSquared,
I agree that this is a very interesting lecture for all sorts of reasons, especially in these extraordinary times. Stay safe!

2 Likes

ey @ProfessorHODL and @doodesville , at this point in time , late 2020 , MS already purchased github. Apple also seems to be going more and more on open source publishing most part of their code in internet. So it seems this is the way , embrace opensource or die.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Microsoft - Github purchase update.
Open source rationale makes more sense now - thank you all for the enlightenment.

rjr[date=2021-04-27 timezone=“America/New_York”]

1 Like

Very interesting. I searched “bitcoin” in Github and realized most of the entries use JavaScript.
That just made me realize how important that programming language is.
No wonder Ivan tells us to study JavaScript before tackling Solidity. :smile: