Quantum Computing

The National Quantum Initiative Act (NQI Act) was signed into law by President Trump on December 21, 2018 “to accelerate quantum research and development for the economic and national security of the United States.”

One of the Federal agencies working with NQI is IARPA – The Intelligence Advanced Projects Activity (IARPA), which sponsors several applied research programs that explore quantum computing. You can learn more about QIS activities at IARPA here: https://www.iarpa.gov/index.php/research-programs/quantum-programs-at-iarpa.

**One of the articles on IARPA’s site is an article, Can Quantum Computing Save the World?.. The article has a short video about quantum computing which blew my mind. Here’s the link: **

Quantum computers do not yet exist, but I imagine Bitcoin Mining would be extremely fast with a Quantum Computer.

2 Likes

My concern would be a 51% takeover…

2 Likes

I have had the same concern. A majority takeover and/or the capacity to reverse engineer sha256 outputs :anguished:

1 Like

In my understanding quantum computing would be very dangerous for crypto.

1. When you have a very powerful computer that is specifically designed to solve calculations, you risk the chance of a 51% takeover.
  2. If these computers are so powerful that they’re able to reverse the SHA256 function or any hash function, you doom all cryptocurrencies and Blockchain as an industry (this is just an if though).

These are just my thoughts on the topic, and I’m not an expert in this, but I’ll look more into it, and if I find any interesting information I will share it in this thread.