Trustless or Shift of trust from politician to scientists?

Hey guys, what’s up!

I’m a former CS student and even though I completely quit programming about 5 years ago, I have been working with computers for over 20 years now,

So. I’m pretty techy, grab things fast and then I get into the human and psychological aspects of things, which interest me a great deal.

It is commonly said that blockchain is

trust-less

,and that all we need to trust in from now, is in technology - namely, math, physics and very soon quantum physics.

Now, let’s put aside quantum physics, that is usually regarded as mystery even by those that do "understand " it, and focus on math and physics in general.

Most people suck at both - me too. Let alone high level cryptography and advanced concepts in electronics, physics etc.

So, the challenging thought / question I have:

Do we really make the processes trustless?

Or…

is it even possible or desirable, in a world of human beings, to completely remove the element of trust?

To tell you the truth, for me personally it’s hard to trust code that I have not read and completely comprehended.

• And most people SUCK at writing or reading code.

• And code can have very elusive and detrimental bugs.

So how are we to bridge the gap in the ability to write and understand smart contracts, between those that write them, and those on behalf of whom they are written?

To me it seems like instead of trusting a lawyer or some middle man, that can at least be threatened or sued, we need to trust in the coder that has all the power and knowledge, while say my 73 year old dad has none.
The coder can say it was a very trick bug that was almost impossible to take into consideration, and now money is lost forever, cause the logic was wrong, and 25 years from now, it will be submitted to the wrong party.

Most people are complete & utter dummies in this sphere.

So is it actually a shift from trustfull to trustless?
Or a just a shift of trust & power from all kind of professionalx to those that write the code and operate the machinery?

Also, how can we be a 100% sure, that there is not some specific code in a machine (say EVM), that only the creators know and could theoretically form a cartel around it, while the common programmers and the common people, have no idea what actually is happening in that black box?

Especially that once deployed, it’s unstoppable!

Add to that the fact, that we have no idea who on earth Satoshi was, and what were his true intentions, for giving bitcoin to the world and triggering this blockchain craze we are in :sweat_smile:

What are your thoughts on these guys & gals?

1 Like

Thats a suitcase full of considerations right there. Hahahaa!! All very important. All very interesting. At least to me. One of the hidden benefits of this academy. The conversations can go in all directions and they usually do!

I’m not sure what ‘really’ is or isnt desirable. The trustless-ness that I most desire (as of right now) which may or may not change in the future. Is that it’s unalterable. cannot be tampered with by fickle humans. History has highlighted too many instances of rotten dealings. Across all cultures, all nations all time periods. Should there be unforeseen errors, ‘accidents’. I envisage a new paradigm being created because it must be. I also dont think it would hurt as much as something intentional. We’ve been sucking up and shrugging off intentional exploitations for many many years and here we all are!

I dont even think blockchain technology really needed to be as water tight as it is to be appealing for large percentages of world populations. Many social contracts were long ago destroyed. A generation at least, that cant even afford housing and a comfortable lifestyle in the countries they were raised. There’s a certainty of this idea for many. Blockchain ‘is’ a gamble. But when options are slim it’s quite a logical result I think.

1 Like

Yeah, you got a point.

The main problem is, that those very same “fickle humans”, create this whole ecosystem, and “unalterable” can hardly be an absolute benefit.

There are times you wish things were alterable, but there is no way back.

The idea is sexy for sure, however I can already see how greed and speculation are diluting people’s intentions and decisions.

Those very same fickle human beings everywhere :sweat_smile:

I do believe a compromise between the current and the upcoming will be a better next step.

Something like what EOS suggest.

Who knows what the future holds for us :slight_smile:

Space, Quantum computing, blockgain economy - these are the main 3 points that excite me the most right now.

1 Like