C++ Section on Mac?

I’m about to start the C++ section of the course, but I’ve noticed that it only covers Windows installation.
Is it safe to say that I need to move computers for the rest of the course, including EOS?

No no and no, that’s borderline illegal! Nobody should ever be forced into a Windows environment!

Let me bring you back to the light. Follow these steps;

1. Install Xcode from the AppStore.
  2. Install Xcode developer tools (gcc/g++). Switch to terminal and run;
    xcode-select --install
  3. Install Homebrew, we will need this for install C++ dependencies
    /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
  4. Run a quick Brew update
    brew update && brew upgrade && brew cleanup
  5. Install OpenCV
    brew install opencv
4 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ll give this a go :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Cherry,

Did your installation work?

I want to begin with the C++ course and downloaded the mac version from code blocks. However, the auto detect function which Ivan explains on Windows doesn’t seem to work the same on Mac, so at the end I don’t get the “hello world” text in the compiler.

It gives error below:

MacBook-Pro-van-Jebel:~ jebeljohm$ /Users/jebeljohm/Downloads/CodeBlocks.app/Contents/MacOS/cb_console_runner DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:. /Users/jebeljohm/Documents/Crypto/Ivan Programming/C++/HelloWorld/bin/Debug/HelloWorld
sh: /Users/jebeljohm/Documents/Crypto/Ivan: No such file or directory

Process returned 127 (0x7F) execution time : 0.002 s
Press ENTER to continue.

Hi Jebel,
Sorry I ended up buying a new computer since I needed to get one with 16gb ram for the eos section. So I ended up with a windows computer and plan to dual boot Ubuntu with it.
Good luck with your quest to make it work on a Mac!

1 Like

You needed 16GB ram? How come? I’m running easily on 3 seperate computers with less than 8GB each… All devices are also mining, rendering 3D graphics and still running seamlessly…

Wow! I was just going on what Ivan said was the minimum requirements for eos.
Oh well… any excuse for a new computer ;D

Ahh okay, I believe the minimum requirement was 8gb and referred to running a virtual machine in a Windows environment? It’s also definitely a minimum requirement for Block Producers (Miners).

I haven’t checked if EOS is using all my 8gb RAM, but my background mining is using CPU, and 3D Graphics is using GPU, so it makes sense all processes would still run fairly seamlessly…

Setting up EOS on a Mac is extremely easy though, far easier than Windows. What did you end up getting?

A little video from a former Google Software Engineer on Operating Systems.

Hi MitchPierias,

I pasted the homebrew link into the terminal, but I’m asked for a password which I can’t type in anything, I can only press Enter

"
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
"

Do you know what I’m doing wrong here?

Hi Cherry,

Oh wow, a new computer, you’re serious about it haha.
Good luck to you you too!

Hi @jebel,

Yes your doing it right. When terminal asks for a password, it will not provide feedback when you hit any key except enter. So when prompted, enter your password, then hit enter. The keys you press are actually being captured by your system but not displayed in the terminal interface.

Having said that, nothing I posted has the sudo or su (Super user) command that would trigger a password prompt, unless homebrew is doing that in the background… I haven’t done the homebrew install for a long time.

Hi MitchPierias,

I didn’t know the keys were being captured (I’m kinda a noob when it comes to this stuff :slight_smile: )

So it has been installed, but still when I try to run code I get an error saying “no such directory or file”.

I did an auto-detect in the compiler settings of CodeBlocks as Ivan explained for the windows set up and it gives me “/usr” as directory.

Do I have to get a correct path with a manual search?

Already many thx for the help, appreciate it.

Haha that’s all good, everyone experiences the disappearing input dilema their first time.

I’m not entirely sure what your problem is now, but normally a full path will bypass a directory not found problem. I don’t know how the windows installation works, I thought you were on Mac?

Yes I am, In the video where Ivan explains the windows installation of Codeblocks I downloaded the mac version on the website, the steps are actually the same except for the auto detect part.

There he has a different path, I simply get “/usr” as auto-detect path. I think that’s the issue why the code doesn’t run and gives that “no such directory…” error. I’ll post the specific issue again in the forum, anyway thx a lot for the help :slight_smile: .

I’m glad I wasn’t the first one to come across this issue.

Thank you for the information.