Ethereum Advanced

As far as one to one transactions & privacy loss goes…now you can run a forked network offering privacy if you can do anything on ETH networks code right ? There are protocols that have this, is maybe the course a little outdated or am I skipping ahead by discussing this?

So…does anyone recommend taking “Bit degree” or “Hacker” to gain eth experience or is Their another place better?

I do not understand quite well the question Ethereum is not focused on privacy, it just have the basic of privacy (permissionless, no identification is required to use it…)

If you are looking for privacy blockchain, you should check monero, zcash, beam and others…there is no logic on fork Ethereum to get privacy, when there are other blockchain that already offer that tech.

Hope this gives you a clear picture of the subject.
If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

1 Like

I quite dont understand the question, a hacking course on ethereum? If you want to gain experience on ethereum, learn how to code a smart contract on it, that can give you a better approach on how you could try to hack other contracts.

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

1 Like

Ethereum Advanced is a deep subject and the more I read the dumber I feel.
There is so much to learn and it is clear that Ethereum is the GO TO platform

1 Like

mE TOO. I had a stroke 5 years ago but thankfully it only effected my left side and not my speach or brain to much. this is excellent therapy. UPWARDS AND ONWARDS, IS THE WAY FORWARD.

Will CBDC’s such as China’s Digital Yuan and the US Digital Dollar use blockchain technology or will they simply sit on top of a centralized database? And even if they do use blockchain / distributed ledger technology, won’t they know everyone’s wallet address and therefore have complete knowledge and control of all transactions?

Centralized blockchain probably…

Thats the whole idea of governments and banks, to Know Your Customer (fancy name right?).
They want to know, how much you earn, how much you spend, which are your purchasing preference.

In my personal opinion, “digital” currencies are just a upgrade for banks and governments to stay on the rally, but the rules, will be the same has now probably, or worst…

Carlos Z.

Hey guys!

I just finished the lecture on Gas,

Ivan talked about the gas - eth price will be defined by the network, how?

i understand it as the amount of gas required for different instructions are hard coded in the protocol, so the requirement does not change, so the variable should be the ETH price.

Then, when you make transactions, sometime requires more Gas than usual when the network is somewhat congested. It wouldn’t make any sense if the protocol sudden have extra instructions.

So, does it mean, the gas hard coded in the protocol is one way to for developers to define the cost. Hence another algorithm in place to refine the price for users to pay for transactions in relation to ETH prices?

Something like this:

GAS amount (hard coded) <=> Smart contracts

GAS required (to execute SC) <=> market price of ETH

Can’t seem to wrap my head around this.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

While I can see in theory how smart contracts work, I can’t see how it works for all situations in practice. A smart contract can only read what is electronically available to it, and it takes an action based on that information. But there are many things in the physical world that cannot be verified by software, so I can’t see how a smart contract can be useful.

Even in the example Ivan gave with grades, I can easily imagine a smart kid tampering with the school’s network to alter the grades, so when the smart contract reads it the money will be released as if the student passed.

Can anyone counterargue this? I would like to have a better understanding of how smart contracts can be applied in the real world.

Gas price in terms of the amount of instructions that must be made by a smart contract function is basically the same (fixed price in gas term by action)

But the price of a transaction can change, depend on the congestion of the network, people will pay more than normal price fee to get their transaction mined before any other… so if a bunch of people do the same, all of those transactions that are waiting to be mined will wait longer, basically because there are a bunch of people paying more for their transaction to be mined, miners will always pick the transactions with higher fees.

Carlos Z.

1 Like

Interesting conversations here. I am learning from everyone. I don’t understand some of the discussions here completely but I hope to be able to when I am done with this lesson. Thank you for all the support.

1 Like

No question’s yet love the Academy Ivan.

Sometimes, I love philosophy. Not too much, just the necessary one. But with ETH, it seems for my beginner eyes to be like we must programme ethics with a part of the “players” not playing ethically.

Hi @filip,

When I try to deploy this contract I get an error “Cannot create undefined or null to objects”. How to solve this? I am attaching a screenshot.

Hello @oneworldcoder, hope you are OK.

I test your code, everything looks great, it deploy without issues for me.

Now are you sure you compile it before deploying it? You could also try to use remix in other browser, just to discard possible errors.

Carlos Z.

1 Like

Hello Carlos,

It works now. I forgot to compile it.

Thank you.

1 Like

@ivan you should think about moving the certificates to the blockchain and not sending the PDF’s to the students! People could change certificates but not the blockchain :wink:

1 Like

We are working on a better solution for the certificates, one of our goals for the next year. :nerd_face:

Can’t say too much right now, just stay tuned, we will surprise you with all the projects that we are working like crazy right now.

Carlos Z.

Amen to the addition part. Once you get started, it’s like a good book, it’s hard to put it away. :+1: