The state of DeFi | DeFi Ecosystem - Discussion

I agree but you do need to study and understand what your holding.
Right now I’m short COMP see here why.

1 Like

amadeobrands keep up the good work, I like the Defi 101, open my mind. Now I am getting to understand many things in this 201. However for this market to progress needs to lower gas fees, it can not be possible for 0,4 eth transaction gas fees of 3 to 4$. I made 0.5 Dai and end it up paying like 6$ in gas fees to open and close the transaction. Anyways at least did not get liquidated.

I wish there was more connectivity between exchanges or CEFI platforms like crypto.com with DEFI, it will be easier to interact.

1 Like

DeFi is really interesting and truly the future, I have a question how do you think the DeFi space will be affected by the Eth 2.0 PoS update?

2 Likes

DeFi is really kicking off.

• I have created a Melon based open crypto hedge fund
  • looking into DAO creation tools
  • DeFi is actually way more than just “Fi” (check out defiprime)
1 Like

@amadeobrands
Hi Amadeo!

Thank you for the course! I have a quick question.
I was having a conversation with my dad who worked in a bank till he retired. We were discussing DeFi and how projects such as “RealT” were tokenizing real estate for use on the Ethereum blockchain. From my understanding of the DeFi space I believe that at some point we want to bring physical assets such as real estate, vehicles etc. into protocols as collateral.

During that conversation he made a very good point that I had no answer for and was wondering if you had any idea of how this would work.
His point was that if a car or house was tokenized as collateral but then due to some unforeseen circumstances such as an accident or a natural disaster, the car or house could get damaged. In such cases how would protocols manage the loss of value of the collateral. I feel like physical assets will behave a lot differently than digital assets and I was wondering if you have any ideas as to how this would be handled in the DeFi space.

1 Like

Hi Amadeo!

I just don’t get a couple of things.

For example, your lending APY is 2% and your and your borrowing APY is 3.50%, where does this 1.5% goes?

Another question is if you borrow 1000 DAI which is 1$ in collatetal to ETH (200$) when ETH price pumps to 400$, would i have to pay more DAI?

1 Like

All,

Another heads up to be careful. I used 0.5 ETH on mainnet to play around with defi during the defi101 course. I was using Metamask in Firefox and had BAT on Compound and DAI on AAVE, leaving about 0.25 ETH in MetaMask.

Looked at it a minute ago and sometime around 2AM EST someone drained all three down to a few wei. AAVE has a log but no withdraws are shown there. I did use Etherscan to trace the withdrawl of the 0.25 ETH from my Metmask wallet to a new (just the one in and out transaction) address and then to another address and then to KYBER. Can’t see past that point.

I had left Metamask open last night. Not sure how anyone could have gotten access to my wallet though.

Is anyone aware of any issues / security holes with Metamask, Firefox, Compound or AAVE?

1 Like

It seems liquidity is a block to main stream Cifi and we have chicken and egg situation. I am interested to develop ways of bringing more liquidity to trading pools as this will then enable bigger and bigger players to come into Difi and once there is enough liquidity then Cifi will come.
We have yield farming, but that needs leveraged debts to give high yields, all seem to agree is a short term proposition.
I am funding Uniswap trading pools to mine fees, on good up and coming projects so with potential to increase in price and then use Uniswap tokens to provide liquidity on Aave, last part is a work in progress

1 Like

After reading this post https://medium.com/@pintail/uniswap-a-good-deal-for-liquidity-providers-104c0b6816f2
I have it totally wrong and you gain less when prices rise and loose more when prices fall when providing liquidity to uniswap pools, seems to be a disincentive to provide liquidity, better to hodl in true BTC fashion

1 Like

i’ve noticed that difference in upper/lower case letters too. As far as i can tell, it is irrelevant

2 Likes

@amadeobrands I enjoyed Defi 101 and am enjoying Defi 201 so far - I am really looking forward to the programming portions. I am a developer and am lite on finance space domain knowledge so I do need to rewind and re-listen often. I do not have a new defi system to add to the list but I have given myself hands on experience with Compound, Uniswap, Kyber, AAVE and Curve.

Thanks Again!

1 Like

The Token Curated Registries (TCR) https://everest.link/ is a great way to contribute and monitor the ecosystem, by contributing input.

Mainframe MFT token is a great Defi candidate to tracks.

https://mainframe.com/

1 Like

Amazing would love to do a more indpeth course with https://menlo.one/ etc
Would be cool more DEV hands on would you like this?

Out of feedback it seems this is still pretty hard for people to understand?

4 Likes

The time that people do understand and start using TCR that is the time we are in a real bull market.

2 Likes

@amadeobrands Yes I really like the hands on project and learn the most that way. I have read some of the comments and do not understand them - I understand that development centered courses seem foreign to non-devs, but the description of this course (DEFI 201) indicates it will be centered on writing code based solutions. Not sure why anyone was surprised.

My issue is the opposite - little exposure to FinTech and the Financial industry so I am trying to work through all the included links so that I can close that gap, so slow going so far :).

Really looking forward to the hands on sections.

Also exited about Defi. I realize its in its infant stage, but some things seem way too slow and clunky to achieve main stream adoption. Ive been trying to do a swap on eth and all my transactions get stuck pending. I tried average, fast and slow transaction cost, but all get stuck pending or are dropper or dont appear at all.

I now found on the activity page in metamask, basically the same transaction sent many times and it is “queued” only the last one is still in pending mode.

I see next to the queued ones a cancel button. It says trying to cancel the transaction is not guaranteed that it will cancel, but trying costs anyways.

Is there really not a better way to do this? If something is dropped, doesnt go through in a certain timeframe, wont it be auto cancelled?

Is it not possible to drop the transaction and make it disappear without fees?

This happened earlier also, but then it at some point reverted and transaction was cancelled without any extra effort and I could make a new one.

Now I have about 10 transactions queued, what should I do?

Also is there a trick to connect your ledger nano s to metamask so that it will ask for transaction signing with certainty?

Now, sometimes it asks it, sometimes not. I tried to connect to hardware wallet though the wallet should be setup already, at first this seemed to help, but right now it doesnt.

Whats the proper way to do this?

Many thanks for any help!

1 Like

After watching Ivan’s interview today with Tor Bair from Secret Network, I can see that privacy will take a bigger role in DeFi since if institutional money is going to get onboard, it probably doesn’t want all its transactions to be tracked by anyone on the chain.

Also scaling is still a big issue, gas fees on Ethereum being record-high lately. We are seeing more and more layer-2 scaling solutions and new platforms coming through. And I love the interoperability narrative, there’s no reason to be an “Ethereum killer”, just integrate your chain with ERC-20.

I find the derivatives narrative also quite interesting, especially Serum project on Solana that promises itself to be super-fast, interoperable with Ethereum and without the single point of failure of a centralized oracle.

Not a big fan of the yield farming Sushi yams vegetables scene myself, I kinda hope we have reached the peak of that so we can focus on bringing real use case value to the DeFi space.

2 Likes

Please help me understand how liquidation of CDP happen.
When I lock up ETH in Vault do I also give access to my private key?
if not, then how can liquidation happen (selling my Eth)without signing with my private keys.
thanks.

1 Like

Great course up until now Amadeo. Looking forward to finishing it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello Amadeo!

Thank you, again, for another detailed and profound course in Defi. Which is the best way to keep track of what you’re up to in the Defi world, Twitter? This world is growing so quickly, I feel the forum can be a little behind.
Questions:
-Are you still using Zepper.fi, considering Gas fees are still wonky?
-What are the black and white images behind your head in the 201 videos? There very interesting. :slight_smile:
-In the collection of slides, the Defi Stack that includes Bitcoin is missing from the link you provided. It’s the slide that starts with Cambrian Explosion in Defi, the first video in Blockchain Based Financial Markets. How can I find that particular image? (I’ll do a google search in the meantime.)
Kindly,
Keely

1 Like