Tile-based video game - Reading Assignment

1. What is a tile? Ans: a tile is the minimun unit of movement for a game object in lots of games.
2. What is a tileset? Ans: set of tiles available for use in a playing area is called a tileset .
3. Are tile-based games a game genre or a technical method of drawing games used across genres? Ans: The tile model became widely used in specific game genres such as platformers
4. Name some tile-based games.
Ans: Ultima, Civilization II

1 Like
  1. a small 8*8 graphic picture thats laid out in a grid.
  2. The complete set of tiles available for use in a playing area is called a tileset ā€¦
  3. technical method
    4.mega man and legend of zelda(link to the past)
1 Like

1. What is a tile?
A Tile is an image used as a unit to that can be multiplied to create things like terrain, a bit like how minecraft is created out of lots of different blocks. A tile is a 2d version of this.

2. What is a tileset?
Is a set of images (tiles) usually with a cohesive style that is intended to used to create video game scenery and create levels and such.

3. Are tile-based games a game genre or a technical method of drawing games used across genres?
A method of creating game content. It is commonly used in all sorts of games.

Mario, Civilization, Minecraft, Donkey Kong

1 Like

1- A tile is a graphic used in the creation of 2d video games.
2- A tileset is the collection of graphics and tiles used in a playing area and game.
3- Technically it is a a technical method ā€¦but also a genre /community IMO.
4-Mario Bro, Zeldaā€¦

1 Like
  1. A tile is a small polygonal element used in the playing area of a game.

2. A tileset is the complete set of tiles available for use in the playing area.

3. Tile-based games are a technical method of drawing games, used across any different genres.

4. Some examples of tile-based games include Galaxian, LoZ: ALTTP and Final Fantasy 6.

1 Like
  1. graphic image (ingame)
  2. complete set of all the images in a game
  3. technical method for games across different genres
  4. examples for genres - roleplayer, platformers, game examples - Zelda, Final Fantasy, Blades of Exile
1 Like
  1. A tile is a playable zone within a game.
  2. A tileset is a complete set of all available tiles .
  3. It is a technical way of drawing games across genres.
  4. Colonisation
1 Like

1- Tiles are small square (or, much less often, rectangular, parallelogram, or hexagonal) graphic images.

2- The complete set of tiles available for use in a playing area is called a tileset .

3- It is a technical way of drawing games

4- Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Age of Empiresā€¦

1 Like

1. What is a tile?
Is a small square that represents the playing area
2. What is a tileset?
A complete set of tiles for example for onel level
3. Are tile-based games a game genre or a technical method of drawing games used across genres?
Is a technical method that dominated some genres on the past.

Megaman, Final Fantasy

1 Like

Tile-based video game Reading Assignment Answers

1. A small playing area that can be a square, rectangle, parallelogram, or hexagonal graphic image laid out on a grid.

2. A tileset is the complete set of ā€œtilesā€ available for use in a playing area.

3. A tile-based game is not a genre but rather it is a technique/ technical method used to represent/makes up the screen.

4. Galaxian, Space Invaders, Mario, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, and Zelda.

1 Like
  1. What is a tile?
    A graphical object representing objects or background in game.

2. What is a tileset?
    The entire combination of tiles in a game environment is known as a tileset

A Technical way of drawing games used across genres

Mega Man, The Legend of Zelda, Shining Force.

1 Like

1.It is what makes up a Tileset game. usually an 8x8 square pixel, but can be other shapes and sizes.
2.A group of Tiles that make up a game, also known as a chunk.
3.Tile based game is a Technical Method.
4.Mario, Galaga, Astroids, Minecraft.

1 Like
  1. What is a tile?
    A small square (or, much less often, rectangular, parallelogram, or hexagonal) graphic image.

2. What is a tileset?
    The complete set of tiles available for use in a playing area.

A technical method of drawing games used across genres

Pac-Man, Ultima III, Civilazion

1 Like

Are tile-based video games still popular? I mean, is anyone still playing them? I cannot even remember the last time I played a 2D game. I consider those games to be from ancient times. They might make you nostalgic about the good old time, but nothing more. Nowadays, games like Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, Assassinā€™s Creed, and GTA V have set an excellent standard for the newer games. I also used to be an old thug playing older games until I met Counter-Strike Global Offensive. I got addicted to this game, and since then, I have been trading skins on the best CS:GO skin trading platform daily. As soon as you start doing that, you understand how much money you can earn out of that.

1. What is a tile?
  • A small (usually) square graphic image representing a part of a playing area laid out in a grid
  1. What is a tileset?
  • Complete set of tiles available for use for a playing area.
  1. Are tile-based games a game genre or a technical method of drawing games used across genres?
  • It is a technical method of drawing games used in many game genres.
  1. Name some tile-based games.
  • Civilization I and II, Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
1 Like

1. What is a tile?
Graphic images laid out in a grid
2. What is a tileset?
The complete set of tiles available for use in a playing area is called a tileset.
Are a technical method of drawing games used across genres.
PacMan, Mario etc

1 Like
  1. Tile- a square image.
  2. Tileset- Complete set of tiles in the playing area.
  3. A technical method of drawing games used across genres.
  4. Examples: Civilization, Pac- Man, The legend of Zelda
1 Like
  • What is a tile: A graphic used in 2D video games to layout the game world.
  • What is a tileset: A tileset is a collection of tiles to create an environment.
  • Are tile-based games a game genre or a technical method of drawing games used across genres: Itā€™s purely technical. Though many platformers use it, it can also be used for other genres i.e. RPGā€™s such as the exile series.
  • Name some tile-based games: Spelunky, Super mario, Oxygen not included, ā€¦
1 Like

1. What is a tile?
A tile is a graphic used in some 2d games and is shaped as squares hexagons or rectangles
2. What is a tileset?
A tileset is the collection of tiles that is used to make an environment
It is technical as different game genres can use the tile-based system
Pac-Man Ultima and Civilization

1 Like
  1. A tile is a graphic, usually a square, that is used in tile-based game as background or playable part of the game.
  2. A tileset is the group of assets in the playable area.
  3. Tile-based means a method of drawing the game. That was very efficient back then with stricter size requirements.
  4. Civilation, Mario, Pac man
1 Like