Ethereum Advanced

Great program so far. Learn more than the books and articles I have read on blockchain.

1 Like

Ivan,

Can there be tokens on top of tokens? Just curious.

Yes its possible to store and attach erc-20 to erc-721. At least from my experience… several erc’s 20 can be “loaded” onto an erc -721… other possibles exist as well, however I am not familiar with them

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your reply.

Frank

How will smart contract now instruction have being followed???

Hello sir, I don’t understand quite well the question, did you mean the functions over an smart contract? In that case when you program an smart contract, you specify all his logic (instructions) on many functions, so in order to follow what an smart contract can do o not, you only have to read the code (the smart contract itself).

Hope this gives you a clear view of the subject, keep learning! :slight_smile:

If you have any doubt, please let us know so we can help you!

Carlos Z.

Hey Ivan thanks for the lectures. Such a legend mate :+1:. I’m wondering why it’s such a bonus that you can’t cancel a smart contract. For an unforeseen circumstance to happen that I have to use that money for something else and i can’t cancel the smart contract I created for my kids grades in school. I dunno maybe you’ll all convince me with some pros and cons???

Thanks all.

Robnx

Ether can mean a couple of things. Firstly, the idea of the ether was that the universe was made up of an undetectable substance, the ether, through which everything was manifested. Einstein put paid to this theory when he introduced his ideas of space-time etc although some people still think that the ether theory still has validity and cite the work of Nikola Tesla as an example. So you can see how the ether matches the EVM as something that surrounds everything. Ether is also related to the idea of air/vapour: ever present and surrounding us but hard to actually grasp as anything solid (I wonder if that is where the idea of ‘solidity’ comes int). If you want to get even more abstract, there is also the idea from ancient esoteric traditions (alchemy. Hermeticism, some types of shamanism, Rosicrucianism, Gurdjieff) that beyond the physical there is an astral plane way above but also an ethereal plane - the ethereal plan is alongside the material realm but invisible to it - a bit like what Frodo sees when he puts on the ring in the Lord of the Rings. Again, you can see the connection between those ideas and a network that is de-centralised and not solid. Hope that helps.

1 Like

@Rob_McCourt
You basically create a contract so you have to respect the rules. If you think you will need this money for something else maybe you shouldn’t open it.
As it’s a trust-less system it’s important for both party to make sure that it’s not possible for one of them to cheat.
In your example if your kid work hard for a semester but one week before he can get the money you are taking back the ether because the smart contract is allowing you to do it. There will be no guaranty for your kid to get the money so why working hard for it , the smart contract will be pointless.

Take an other example you are working for a company who pay you using a smart contract, but they can cancel your payment at anytime because they can modify the smart contract, will you work for this company ?

Conversely if this contract doesn’t allow the company to cancel your payment if you fulfill the requirement will you work for them ?

1 Like

Very interesting course. Now I get the idea the difference of BTC and ETH :smiley:
Cant wait for programming class

1 Like

hi folks,

1. am not sure I really understand the difference between a coin and token in terms of function. Can anyone help clarify?

2. also when people talk about putting their business on the blockchain what does that mean in practice?

Many thanks and happy learning :slight_smile:
Anita

Very intersting course. I like especially use cases (in this case from your child). Please continue with more use cases.

1 Like

I have a question re decentralisation - how do you discover whether a smart contract is truly decentralised or not. Say a new smart contract comes out, how do you verify to see it is decentralised. Where do you go to explore the code and what in the code verifies that it is decentralised?

Many thanks Anita

@anitan A coin is the actual representation of a unit of value distribute to miners to secure the network. A coin have a value because of the difficulty to obtain it and the scarcity. Coins transactions are tracked in the blockchain memory at the protocol layer.

A token is a unit of value created by a smart contract on the top of the blockchain. The difference is you are not mining token you are minting them, coin transaction are tracked by the smart contract, and transactions are saved in the blockchain.

This is not an official and perfect answer but i hope it ll help to understand the difference

3 Likes

Most of the times you can check the code by yourself, most good projects come with a open source code, so anyone can verify the legitimacy of what they offer.
For example you can start by reviewing the code of Etherum, GitHub, Ethereum :grin:

Carlos Z.

thank you gabba for your kind response…it all helps in the learning process

thank you Carlos, I will take a look

1 Like

I just started my Ethereum 101 course. I am learning So much! I really love the way the academy is build. simple to understand, step by step. And I actually understand what he is trying to explain!!! keep up the GREAT work!

3 Likes

Can a smart contract be written to work with any Erc-20 token or only with Ethereum? Not sure if this has been asked on the chat board? Have great day!!!

Great Links…thank you